Ripol Subwoofer

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
JohnG
Old Hand

#1 Ripol Subwoofer

Post by JohnG »

Whilst investigating Subs, I found a few articles on a version of a OB Sub Woofer referred to as a Ripole Sub Woofer.
I know the name is made up from the designers name and the fact it is a variant of a Dipole Sub Woofer.
The Ripole works in Push/Push configuration and has a reliance on the Drivers supporting panels to create the bass.
As I am looking to purchase drivers very soon for a OB Sub Woofer, producing the panels to make a Ripole would seem a worthy exercise, to use as a comparison to any other methods I take on.
Any thoughts on the Ripole concept are welcome.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Ripol Subwoofer

Post by IslandPink »

They seem tempting. There's a guy on here called 'Jazzman53' who uses one with some electrostats ( or magneplanars ) and a TL, to provide the lowest octave.
I tried a 12" slot-loaded bass with a bigger baffle and it didn't work out for me.
I looked around the forums for comment on Ripole builds and there were rather more dissatisfied customers than fans of it, so that's why I went for the bigger baffle option.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
JohnG
Old Hand

#3 Re: Ripol Subwoofer

Post by JohnG »

Thank you for the input, I have seen the Jazzman name crop up, whilst investigating the design.
I will look more into his build, and learn a bit more.