This phase thing

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Nick
Site Admin

Re: This phase thing

Post by Nick » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:45 am

but to be perfectly honest, as Fourier transforms would indicate, the absolute phase is - to me - inaudible although possibly obstructed by tinnitus.
Yes, same for me, though I can imagine given a system with a combination of even order non linearity could make it audible.
questioning the conventional tunings, about which perhaps I might post in due course.
That would be interesting. I quote the wiki entry on Fifths

"In music theory, a perfect fifth is the musical interval corresponding to a pair of pitches with a frequency ratio of 3:2, or very nearly so. "

Emphasis mine.
Resistance isn't futile it's V / I.

David Pinnegar
User

Re: This phase thing

Post by David Pinnegar » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:04 pm

On tuning of pianos I'm advocating systems which happen to be historic that use numbers of exact pure 3:2 fifths. This puts many notes of the scale exactly on the harmonics of lower strings, with numbers of near pure thirds or sweeter thirds than we're conventionally used to, and enables the instrument to give a stillness to the sound, and the music thereby, in contrast to the conventional tuning, as well as tonal colour differences between keys, which is what classical composers wrote for . . . as well as actually improving the sound of the instrument, making it less metallic, sweeter and more harmonious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqS_IjKo-d8 explains a little more

Best wishes

David P