Old Hand

#1 Saiga - Discuss

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

What is a place holder
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Saiga

Post by Nick »

I am assuming Scott will be back later to fill the rest of the design in, but wanted to reserve some space so it could be consecutive?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Saiga

Post by pre65 »

I thought one could not modify ones post if someone else had posted afterwards ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#4 Re: Saiga

Post by Scottmoose »

It seems that you can (luckily).

Anyway, what Nick said -since I haven't had time to write everything out in advance, I thought it would be sensible to reserve some spaces that I could go back to & fill in with each section as appropriate, which would keep everything together.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Nick
Site Admin

#5 Re: Saiga

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:40 pm I thought one could not modify ones post if someone else had posted afterwards ?
You cant delete it. At the moment the edit post time is unlimited, I may set it to 24 hours or some such long time interval to prevent folk changing the past, but allow them to fix errors.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#6 Re: Saiga

Post by simon »

Sounds like an excellent idea Nick. Freedom of speach comes with responsibility.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#7 Re: Saiga

I shouldn't comment, but really this is just what I hate and think kills good speaker - stupid over complication, I think you should leave out the "i" and call it a Saga.

This is the total opposite of what I have been doing and progressing to for decades. Look, already so many words, and more space reserved for more words and graphs, and my eyes and brain are glazing over already. What the feck has any of this got to do with music.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Saiga

Post by Cressy Snr »

It's a studio monitor for evaluation.
These are meant as an analytical tool, so I would argue that they are by definition, the opposite of what is normally required at home.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Saiga

Post by pre65 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:11 pm I shouldn't comment, but really this is just what I hate and think kills good speaker - stupid over complication, I think you should leave out the "i" and call it a Saga.

This is the total opposite of what I have been doing and progressing to for decades. Look, already so many words, and more space reserved for more words and graphs, and my eyes and brain are glazing over already. What the feck has any of this got to do with music.
Richard, we all know your point of view on speakers. Scott has designed many speakers, and those of us that have built from his designs have been happy with the results.

As you have not actually heard this speaker how on earth can you comment on it's ability to make music ?

Edmund Burke

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Saiga

Post by Cressy Snr »

In this case it is a case of horses for courses. I wouldn't dream of using a studio monitor/evaluation tool at home and knowing Scott well, neither would he, and neither does he. :)
This is a completely different exercise from designing a domestic speaker, but some of the techniques Scott is proposing are perfectly valid for a home speaker. Ears however would be the final arbiter, even in this case and I'm sure, in fact I know that Scott would agree wholeheartedly.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#11 Re: Saiga

Cressy Snr wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:23 pm It's a studio monitor for evaluation.
These are meant as an analytical tool, so I would argue that they are by definition, the opposite of what is normally required at home.
And what are they analysing, music, I think not, and what is the point of doing anything else even in a studio. I wish we had some of the old Decca and Capital guys from the late 50's early 60's who have produced STILL the finest most musical recording we have ever had, and what did they have, SIMPLICITY as that was all that was available to them, simple quality, and in studio monitors.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#12 Re: Saiga

pre65 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:24 pm
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:11 pm I shouldn't comment, but really this is just what I hate and think kills good speaker - stupid over complication, I think you should leave out the "i" and call it a Saga.

Richard, we all know your point of view on speakers. Scott has designed many speakers, and those of us that have built from his designs have been happy with the results.

As you have not actually heard this speaker how on earth can you comment on it's ability to make music ?
From over 40 years experience that is what, do you seriously think I haven't seen this bollocks before. If you have been happy with it then you have never heard anything that is good. Go listen to some old JBL or Altec studio monitors.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Saiga

Post by Cressy Snr »

Well yes I would agree that those old recordings are absolutely fantastic. Indeed I heard a slab of vinyl from 1957 that Dave (Thermionic Idler) brought over on Thursday evening that made my jaw drop, it was so stunning. These days with all the electronics used on modern stuff, an analytical tool is what they want to use, despite us old buggers knowing what the big old monitors could achieve.
The recordings they make with these types of speakers as monitors, may be not what we would prefer, but the kids today don't know anything else and want the type of sound these things serve up, especially when using gear such as Pro-Tools and Ableton Live in their small dead spaces. This is what it is now. So whilst I may not agree with some of the outcomes of these kinds of designs, I do respect Scott's right to publish and of course your right Richard and anyone else to argue a different viewpoint. It's what makes things interesting.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#14 Re: Saiga

So we are here to recommend and supply crap just because some kids want crap, you are not living on my planet mate in that case. I am here to educate and that is what this forum should be about not pandering to the lowest common denominator.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: Saiga

Post by pre65 »

Personally, I use open baffle speakers.

I've heard many and various Scott designs over the years and they all made music sound as it should. Obviously there are differences depending on the cabinet type and driver sizes, and as Steve says, final tuning by ear hones the finished products sound.

Why can't you (Richard) manage to state your opinion without getting all het up ? You seem to want to convince EVERYONE that you alone are right.

Just "simmer", and understand that your opinion is not accepted as "gospel" by everyone.

Edmund Burke