Ok it has happened

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Aidan
User

#1 Ok it has happened

Post by Aidan »

A messy divorce (if you can, do what you can to to avoid it) has left my beloved wooden cheeked Inpulse H6 speakers battered and slashed. The sound is still wonderful - light, fast, detailed, decent bass. But the cabinets.. at 22 years they had looked new, now they appear more worse for wear than I do.

I think I like the horn speaker sound. Other speakers I have heard sound ponderous, slow, a little confused, and less clear. And the H6 had decent bass for a horn. Damn good full range speaker.

I need a replacement. As my income has halved (read the first sentence) I probably can't afford new, but I would like something hopefully better (I'd like to move up the chain) so second hand? Any ideas? Anyone selling good-as-new H2's? Room is 20x12... so H2 out anyway... music is Rock, Folk, female vocals... amp is WD88A, pre&phono is Topsy's old WAD II setup, Gyro se/SME IV and Kontrapunkt B.

Aidan
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Ok it has happened

Post by pre65 »

If they still sound as they should, can you do a refurb job on the cabinets ?

Even a rub down, fill the damaged areas, then a decent coat of undercoat and top coat.

PS Sorry to hear about the break up. :(
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Ok it has happened

Post by Mike H »

Crikey!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#4 Re: Ok it has happened

Post by Scottmoose »

Sorry to hear that.

If they're still working, Colin (or someone as experienced if preferred) could no doubt refinish them. There aren't many companies making designs like the Impulse (basically it's a horn loaded reflex or big vent reflex if you prefer the alternative term); the closest you're likely to find is a speaker with a cabinet described as TQWTs such as the Blumenhofer Fun series. Since budget is tight an entirely custom design is probably out; however, a potentially more affordable alternative would be to select a quality 2-way floorstanding DIY design you feel will suit your requirements, and commission a custom enclosure for it of either the aforementioned types, preserving the original baffle dimensions & driver positions to ensure the crossover functions as intended.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Aidan
User

#5 Re: Ok it has happened

Post by Aidan »

All, thanks for the advice and the sympathy (I had also had a pair of Ruark floor standers - prolog ones - that were shredded). It's always the hobbies that come off worst. :roll:

I'll pm Colin and if he's interested send him some pics, he doesn't live too far away.

Aidan