New build 2.5 way floorstanding prototype speakers

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#31 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Ray P »

Anyway, I really like the veneer finish...

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#32 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yes the speakers look fantastic as usual Colin.
Unusual veneer, not to my taste but the quality of finish speaks for itself, especially the leather baffle.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#33 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Toppsy »

Greg, Steve,
Thanks for bringing this to my notice. As I only own a W10 laptop and don't have a iPhone or latest type mobile device. My mobile is a simple Nokia as to me it's simply a phone. I hadn't been aware of this issue.

My digital camera is a Canon S100. Photos are saved as JPG images. I download the images onto my laptop and then edit them in Microsoft Office Picture Manager. When the photo is taken in portrait mode on the camera I have to rotate the image in MSOPM and then compress and sometimes resize so they don't take up masses of digital space and sized to be easily viewed. But I always maintain the original frame ratios. I then transfer them to Nick's server via FileZilla Client . This is what I have always done so I see that something else outside my control has changed with other devices. The images always look correct to me. Sorry if this causes you problems. So guys I don't know what I can do to address this issue?
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#34 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Cressy Snr »

Perhaps if you didn't rotate the images before uploading them?
I would compress and resize them as normal but either leave out the rotation step, or correct the rotation you applied
before you upload to the server. The landscape pictures are fine, only the portrait ones cause problems.
Try one like that then we can report back and tell you if the problem has gone away.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#35 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Toppsy »

OK Steve will do.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#36 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Toppsy »

So how does this look?:

To me on my W10 browser the image is sideways on and needs to be rotated 90 deg to be correct.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#37 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Cressy Snr »

Spot-on Colin :D
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#38 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Cressy Snr »

If the image is the right way up off the camera I cant understand why it would be wrong on Internet Explorer.
Perhaps its something to do with Microsoft Office Picture Manager and its coding of the image attributes.
Thats the limit of my knowledge of these things, maybe Nick, Chris, Jack, Neal, or Ray could come up with something.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#39 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Toppsy »

OK so it appears that rotating the image in MS Picture Manager is the thing not to do but then for others they will have to rotate their laptop or screen to view the image the correct way up.
I can reconfigure all the existing images on this thread so non are rotated and see if this gets negative feedback from those that did not have the distorted image problem that the iPhone users are experiencing. This may take some time though.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#40 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Cressy Snr »

I'd leave things alone if I were you at the moment Colin. I don't think it is beyond the expertise of Nick et al as I mentioned above to come up with a workaround for the future. We'll have to put up with it for the moment, as you would merely be transferring the problem onto other people rather than solving anything.

Perhaps a different third party image editor would be away forward. I'm sure folk will come up with something.
Nick
Site Admin

#41 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Nick »

Nick wrote:
Cressy Snr wrote:Spot-on Colin :D
When you say spot on, do you mean that the picture is rotated 90deg? as thats what I see in firefox.

gimp still says the picture is rotated in the metadata, so I suspect your camera knows its turned sideways when you take the picture and some viewers take notice, and others dont.

Think the problem is covered here: http://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-you ... y-rotated/
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#42 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Toppsy »

Thanks for the observation Nick.
Seems this may be the crux of the matter. In future I wont rotate my camera and take all photos in landscape mode as the very first image posted on the thread.

Let me see how I can redress this issue and perhaps retake all the photos and over-write the original server ones.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#43 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Toppsy »

Greg Wrote
By way of example, based on water courses, Brookdale, Burndale, Beckdale, Riverdale, Spritzdale and Rindledale. Just a few suggestions. I think you may have opened this discussion on another thread, but at the time I didn't respond.
I like your lateral thinking Greg and thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to discuss this further with Scott and elicit an opinion from my good lady wife. But please do keep posting name suggestions.
Regards
Colin
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#44 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by pre65 »

So, do all us "normal" people with PCs have to view Colin's portrait type photos sideways ?

That's how today's photo at 9:47 looks on my laptop.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#45 Re: New build DEEPDALE prototype speakers

Post by Toppsy »

So, do all us "normal" people with PCs have to view Colin's portrait type photos sideways ?
in a word Phil, NO.
It would seem from the link that Nick posted my problem is me rotating the camera into the upright position to take the images. I am going to reshoot all the images in this thread and those I can in the stand mount speaker thread so non of the images or camera are rotated. To do this I shall be retaking the photos with the camera in its normal landscape mode. This should cure the problems that Greg and Steve are experiencing and should allow all to view the images as they should be without having to rotate your screen.