Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Cressy Snr
Oooo, Roberts Radio's sound nice

Re: Fane 12-250TC Retro Speaker.

Post by Cressy Snr » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:39 pm

What's interesting now, is how great the speakers sound with grilles. You'd think the drivers had been deliberately designed to require them :wink:

The on-axis peakiness seems to have been flattened out, so that I don't need the splayed array formation anymore, and have reverted to firing straight down the room.

So let's recap for those who may want to build a pair of these speakers:

1. 80L is the point when diminishing returns set in regarding how low you can get them to go whilst keeping a reasonable cabinet size. From 80L upwards, a couple of Hz more low end extension requires a disproportionate increase in the cabinet size.
IMO it's not worth going above the 80L benchmark.

2. A single, lateral, holey brace below the driver is sufficient to keep cab vibration under control.

3. No wadding in the interior airspace is either needed or desirable, unless you actually like dull, lifeless, boredom.

4. Back, bottom and sides of the cabinet interior can however be lagged with 2" rockwool, or 1/2" felt, stapled or glued to the walls. It drops the system Q a little bit and deals nicely with the (quite weak) backwave from the driver, removing coloration.

5. They need a good few hundred hours of running in, during which period, the bass extension gets better as the driver suspension loosens up.

6. This 12" Fane, full-range driver may not be the last word in wideband driver technology, indeed it looks, on the surface, to be deceptively simple, but it doesn't half make wonderful music.

7. For best results, make and fit grilles.
Happiness is not good for the economy Matt Haig.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:36 am

Congrats they look beautiful, fully retro as you wanted. iI wish I had time to do a semi omni cube version with two drivers for each cab one on the top.

Anyway how does the spud amp change things from the NVA clone. I heard at Owston so I have my opinion but I think things have progressed since then on both of them. I must admit the spud amp looks more interesting in pics, the clone is just a boring box.

Cressy Snr

Post by Cressy Snr » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:00 am

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:36 am
Congrats they look beautiful, fully retro as you wanted. iI wish I had time to do a semi omni cube version with two drivers for each cab one on the top.

Anyway how does the spud amp change things from the NVA clone. I heard at Owston so I have my opinion but I think things have progressed since then on both of them. I must admit the spud amp looks more interesting in pics, the clone is just a boring box.
Aye, there has been some progress with the sound of the spud amp. It was oscillating at HF on the left channel; too high to hear but it was affecting the gain on the left. I discovered it with my scope after noticing a negative voltage on the control grid of the pentode section. Another effect was that the top end was curtailed on the offending channel and thus the lateral balance of the recorded space was way down in comparison to the NVA clone. This also resulted in the depth dimension being flattened compared to the NVA.

Now that's had a temporary band aid applied, it is a lot better at the top end and the space you expect from a valve amp is back. It is at the bass end where the NVA is clearly superior to the valve amp and is of course where traditionally, good transistor amps usually beat them.

The best thing about the speakers themselves, is that they seem to work equally well with low power single ended valve amps and transistor amps. Full range drivers can be finicky about their amplification but these drivers don't seem to care. Being pro, full rangers rather than hi-fi, they'll have been designed using solid state pro amplification requirements.

No exotic foo materials or mystical back story; they're just good honest paper coned drivers that happen to sound great in a hi-fi setup.

Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:42 pm

I had no desire for new speakers until i read your description of these. Now im tempted!

Cressy Snr

Post by Cressy Snr » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:53 pm

Graeme wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:42 pm
I had no desire for new speakers until i read your description of these. Now im tempted!
Aye, you could do a lot worse. :)