SRA experiments ~ 92 degrees

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
mr.natural
User

#1 SRA experiments ~ 92 degrees

Post by mr.natural »

Hello Folks,

I am guessing that VTA/SRA are either still of some interest to some or a waste of time for others, be it that conical stylus types need less precision in set up in this field but elliptical etc need extra calibration set up similar to cassette azimuth.

There have been war and peace episodes written on the subject since the ‘80s but I missed the bus about using 92 degrees SRA from level tonearm setup (for a good starting point).This means raising tonearm 4mm for each degree at the base from level (assuming stylus is at 90 degrees) - to me this seems a vast adjustment considering some use micro adjustments on their setups. For the extra 2 degrees you would need to raise a 9” arm by 8mm.

Do many here set ‘arse end up’ ?

I have been trying this method out on a Ortofon VMS 20 e mk.II. by increasing tonearm base by 4mm supposedly giving 91 degrees SRA. Results have been positive with the so called audio picture snapping into focus. Creeping up to the so called 92degrees I have yet to try.

All this comes courtesy of the Van den Hul / the Wally geezer etc. with regards to the original 15 - 20 degree cutting angles for vinyl pressings.

Regards,Ed
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: SRA experiments ~ 92 degrees

Post by IslandPink »

I hadn't ever thought about stylus rake angle, but I see what you're getting at, and my brain now hurts.
Seems to me the angle of the cantilever to the body must be something each cart manufacturer must have more or less known, in order to get the coils in best position re. to the magnets. I'm sceptical of how accurate the diamonds are bonded into the cantilevers. It seems to me you've got to fix on one thing ( eg. VTF ) and then work on the VTA which will give you an SRA. However I need to read up on this a bit more - like seeing what the definition of SRA is (!)- and defer to those who've got more of a pedigree in the set-up game than I have.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
mr.natural
User

#3 Re: SRA experiments ~ 92 degrees

Post by mr.natural »

ILPS,

I come from the days of setting tonearm level with record / platter and then tweaking down a bit or up a bit causing has you say brain ache. Yes it works and then no it does not work = catch 22. For years I have embedded the thought higher vta gives bright top end treble and low vta bass bloom plus poor midrange. Some recordings seem to work well no matter what you do to set up, for me many do not sound like works of art which they all should be.

If you’re using them Denon 103’s with original conical stylus then all this nonsense should have no effect.

Has I mentioned prev. the extra 1degree (4mm) up from parallel tonearm base brings me a better musical picture compared to previous level tonearm setup. Mid range is my target for decent vinyl playback, I find this drives everything and with latest experiments could be the answer for me.

VTF should be set first before any tonearm adjustments and left alone / adding more or less will effect VTA/SRA. Tracking force adjustments did not give me improved musical playback including voice sibilence. I am tracking at the recommended 1.0g for the VMS 20 and vocals are pretty good (better or at least has good has previous ZYX/VDH/LYRA past life cartridges). But those never had the same treatment has latest trials.

Regards,Ed
Neal
Shed dweller

#4 Re: SRA experiments ~ 92 degrees

Post by Neal »

I run my At33PTG rear end up. Seems to work well like this compared to rear end down...
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.