neals g99

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Ant
Shed dweller

#16 Re: neals g99

Post by Ant »

just done a little bit of research and it seems the 242 is a low to medium effective mass arm so it probably wants some additional weight at the headshell for the 103, Mark can probably give some pointers on how much weight to add given he has tweaked his mayware f4 to suit a 103.
James D added a 50p (however much that weighs) to the headshell on his kenwood deck to make it work
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: neals g99

Post by IslandPink »

I use a lead shim about 2.5 to 3mm thick that weighs around 6.5g, for the 103R . It would probably benefit from more ( James has been as high as 20 or 30g ) , but the extra brass counterweight I had made is just enough for this. Also the Formula IV only has a thin flexible wand so I wouldn't want to go up too much. Having said that with the mass I have on there, the bass is extremely good when you feed it into a phono without a step-up.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Neal
Shed dweller

#18 Re: neals g99

Post by Neal »

Thanks for the input guys but the cartridge is a 103D, it has over twice the compliance of the regular 103.....it has also been rebuilt by Goldring so not really comparable.

Anyhow, I gotta love my better half, I like to think my HiFi obsession over the years has finally rubbed off on her. She made an idle comment about the cartridge not being run in as I've not used it much if at all since it was rebuilt......then followed up with have you played about with the arm height :shock:

Well, some progress has been made....I've raised the arm up a touch so it's just tail up and the treble came more into focus, I also lowered the VTF a touch. More play (and running in, cough) is required at some point but it's quite a lot better than before.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: neals g99

Post by IslandPink »

Ooh, rare beast these days, the 103D .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Neal
Shed dweller

#20 Re: neals g99

Post by Neal »

Made progress, not sure if I'll be able to more out of this cartridge. Detail retrieval is excellent, the midrange especially...the top end is a touch bright and I think that is just the character of the cartridge. It's a touch strident and in yer face, I'd prefer some refinement but can't have it all. The bass is clean and has depth, nice, the G99 with the Hadcock does seem to play tunes very well. I need to try a better cartridge.
Ant
Shed dweller

#21 Re: neals g99

Post by Ant »

Maybe drop the arm height a touch to alter the vta very slightly. Might take a little of the shout out of the top.
The f7 I have responded nicely to tweaking the vta

Neal
Shed dweller

#22 Re: neals g99

Post by Neal »

Cheers Ant, I've tried that though. Really believe I need to try a different cart. to get a different take on it, unless more use changes the presentation. The detail is amazing though. I recall it sounding a bit bright when I had it mounted in my KD-990...
Ant
Shed dweller

#23 Re: neals g99

Post by Ant »

get an at-f7 :D

Neal
Shed dweller

#24 Re: neals g99

Post by Neal »

I have an AT33PTG/II, I'll use that....
Neal
Shed dweller

#25 Re: neals g99

Post by Neal »

Ah that's hit the spot. What a difference, the AT is in a different league. :bounce:
Neal
Shed dweller

#26 Re: neals g99

Post by Neal »

Doh! Ordered a 2x 55v thx to Run the G99 at 110v only to find the motor is one of the old 3 terminal types. I have a refurbed motor I could use but not sure I can be bothered at the moment. I’m running it off a bucking transformer as our mains is quite high and it sounds fine....maybe if I get bored.
Ant
Shed dweller

#27 Re: neals g99

Post by Ant »

Try balanced power neal, i found it works very well with lenco motors

DSJR
User

#28 Re: neals g99

Post by DSJR »

I need to trawl through hifi dave's old magazine shash as when I looked a few years ago I'm sure I found the HiFi Sound turntable review from 1968, which had the G99, 401, TD124 and Sony TTS3000, which won the shoot-out comfortably. The G99 benefitted from an inline resistor on the mains of I think 1k (I use 1.5K at 25W here) and this was claimed to significantly reduce motor-borne rumble coming through to the stylus. I read a load of bullshit on PFM about doing this slowing tempo down, but with the mass of the platter and sub 2g tracking, I can't ever see this being an issue.
Neal
Shed dweller

#29 Re: neals g99

Post by Neal »

Been messin with felt. Cut a felt washer for the arm board and one for the arm itself, I had the arm pillar up too tight so that has been slakened off... I’ve also removed the bottom base board, I think Ant designed it to support the bearing I wanted to see what effect it has.

To me the tweaks have resulted in a better sense of separation to the sound and it sounds more solid...I’ll put the base board back on at some point....all good fun.
Ant
Shed dweller

#30 Re: neals g99

Post by Ant »

Yep that was the point of the baseboard, if you wanted to shim the bearing from underneath you can
I found with my lenco conversions that supporting the bearing from underneath made a difference to the solidity, i prefer it, others might not.
Hopefully it came off ok, id stuck abit of double sided tape on the underside to keep it in place when i drilled the screw holes for it and I dont think I took it off........