townshend rock 2 tonearm mounting plate improvent??

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
jayman67
User

#1 townshend rock 2 tonearm mounting plate improvent??

Post by jayman67 »

being a serial fiddler it came into my head that perhaps the plate could be bettered by using either ebony or panzerholz.
the original mounting plate is metal,mild steel which normally would be thought of as an awful choice for a tonearm board,it works well and i have no complaints.
the replacement would have to be thicker,say 10-19mm but i can hide the thickness by rebating the underside to sink it lower on the plinth.
what do you think?
worth a punt?

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: townshend rock 2 tonearm mounting plate improvent??

Post by IslandPink »

I would say yes - anything near the tonearm or its interface can have a surprising effect on the tone - so an ebony or panzeholz type wood may be a good choice there, with a more benign or sympathetic character than the metal plate.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ant
Shed dweller

#3 Re: townshend rock 2 tonearm mounting plate improvent??

Post by Ant »

Ive got plenty of bits of hardwoods here, walnut, some very dense and old oak, some beech and some sapele thats kinda soft if you want me to send some bits to experiment with? Saves buying panzerholtz or ebony which might not float yer boat.
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
jayman67
User

#4 Re: townshend rock 2 tonearm mounting plate improvent??

Post by jayman67 »

thats a really kind offer mate,but i already have some ebony and panzerholz from other projects.
Ant
Shed dweller

#5 Re: townshend rock 2 tonearm mounting plate improvent??

Post by Ant »

No worries
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
jayman67
User

#6 Re: townshend rock 2 tonearm mounting plate improvent??

Post by jayman67 »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:33 pm I would say yes - anything near the tonearm or its interface can have a surprising effect on the tone - so an ebony or panzeholz type wood may be a good choice there, with a more benign or sympathetic character than the metal plate.
thats my way of thinking,outside of the rock tt id never think about using metal for a tonearm board and yet it seems to work on the rock,maybe all the plaster of paris in the plinth tames it?
i used both woods and had great results on my pioneer tt. i think in the end ive just gotta try it.