Magnetic pull kevlar suspension tonearm

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
cressy
Shed dweller

#31 Re: Magnetic pull kevlar suspension tonearm

Post by cressy »

Which arms have a pivot point at the same plane as the stylus? Genuine question, the only one i can think of is possibly the well tempered arm
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#32 Re: Magnetic pull kevlar suspension tonearm

Post by Paul Barker »

Maybe I am over thingking it. But because of the issues with the magnets wanting control wouldnt such isses matter more? Wouldnt we want to design least movement of all planes except swing to the right?

Regarding the warped record "least of your problems" thought. But we all have some poor quality records, Its kind of nice to play them, but some its all we have. Commercial gear its an easy problem to ignore. "if you want to take my megabuck tonearm seriously you shouldnt have cheap vinyl smug looks abound". Vinyl can be a very expensive hobby. Or it is great fun on a budget. Guess what, people having great fun on a budget have bad condition records. Im one of those people. If I can make a record more playable than it is Id like that. Sometimes that is down to cartridge choices which negotiate a different part of the groove to the part worn out by a dansette in the records hayday, sometimes its care taken over cleaning the record, and sometimes its working with the warp.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#33 Re: Magnetic pull kevlar suspension tonearm

Post by Paul Barker »

I am thinking this apple wand looks a candidate for my spu. Need to find out if its still playable, very much liked the sound from it all those years ago. Think I'll test the whole system on a bad record with the sl15 before I put an spu on the wand.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#34 Re: Magnetic pull kevlar suspension tonearm

Post by Paul Barker »

Reference the anti scate. I hate the mayware anitiscate with a passion. Ive never really got the better of any anti scate. I am thnking maybe with such a long wand as this its not required? If required I am starting to lean back towards Will's choice. the pair of lateral pivot points could attach at the same level as the record. The twist delivers the anti scate. afai can see the one plane we want the free movement is not impaired by that method. Seems to me easier to achieve function.
shane
Social outcast

#35 Re: Magnetic pull kevlar suspension tonearm

Post by shane »

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't play warped records, I was saying that if you do play a warped record, the other effects of warps will dwarf the warp-wow effect. Having the pivot at record level is theoretically a good thing to do, but it doesn't really matter.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Paul Barker

#36 Re: Magnetic pull kevlar suspension tonearm

Post by Paul Barker »

But I understood your view on the perspective, relevant significance; I am questioning it (your view on perspective) in the application with magnets that try to disallow up and down motion.
shane
Social outcast

#37 Re: Magnetic pull kevlar suspension tonearm

Post by shane »

Sorry Paul, I think we're getting a bit mixed up here. The relationship between the pivot point and the magnet gap is absolutely vital. The relationship between the pivot point and the record surface level doesn't really matter. If you get the pivot/gap relationship right, you won't get any interference with VTF, so the arm won't be any more sensitive to vertical offset between the pivot and disc level than with any other arm.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Paul Barker

#38 Re: Magnetic pull kevlar suspension tonearm

Post by Paul Barker »

So the key is that it pivots at the centre of the gap. I note Will found the kevlar stretched a little, but also note tighter the gap the better. Lots of issues to juggle. Think Will implied after initial stretch it may stabilise. Definately an arm for a cheap cart 'till its run in.
shane
Social outcast

#39 Re: Magnetic pull kevlar suspension tonearm

Post by shane »

I did manage to snap the Kevlar on mine. Mind you, the nice China man on eBay only said it was Kevlar. Could just as easily have been cotton for all I could tell!
Paul Barker

#40 Re: Magnetic pull kevlar suspension tonearm

Post by Paul Barker »

oh boy
Paul Barker

#41 Re: Magnetic pull kevlar suspension tonearm

Post by Paul Barker »

i'm just thinking I can experiemnt with a very powerful bar magnet out of a heating system magnetic filter doing the attracting from beneath and a ferous metal shaped to accomodate the up down motion on the base of the wand.
shane
Social outcast

#42 Re: Magnetic pull kevlar suspension tonearm

Post by shane »

Is that one one of those Magnaflow things? The magnets are enormous!
Paul Barker

#43 Re: Magnetic pull kevlar suspension tonearm

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes I have a variety of versions with various magnets including the magnaclean. The main cost is the magnet, the more you pay the more the magnetc pull. With 6 of them I could levitate a seismic style stand. Have thought about it. But there is a cost, though probably less than the cost of a seismic stand. I heard a seismic stand at Clive Messer's house. Wow it was good.
cressy
Shed dweller

#44 Re: Magnetic pull kevlar suspension tonearm

Post by cressy »

If there are any bits you think I might be able to make for it when you make a start let me know paul
Paul Barker

#45 Re: Magnetic pull kevlar suspension tonearm

Post by Paul Barker »

cool. Thanks Anth.