The best phono stage there is

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
cressy
Shed dweller

#46 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by cressy »

So the issue is simply the title of the thread then? Who are you to say it isnt worth ten grand? Do you know how many hours worth of r&d went into it? How many prototypes were built? The cost of each and every component? How much it costs to have the case made? Even down to the cost of the silkscreen legends on the panels? The fact that as a low volume product there will be sod all discounts from the suppliers of said components and casework, the cost of getting the unit through ce testing? Having a small run of the pcbs made, the cost of custom mains transformers made for it?

There are a myriad of unseen costs that all add up that the end user has no idea about, and doesnt care about.
The amount of work and effort that goes into creating something like this, or indeed anything deserves reward, no?
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#47 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Can someone tell me how a phono stage can cost £10,000. A price break down would be useful.

Cressy post above would lead to a £1000 stage at the most, so where is the other £9k going.

I build phono stages so i know what they cost.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#48 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Cressy your comments are speculative , the fact is nobody knows , that is the problem.

Capitalism creates a caveat between value and price in the search for surplus value ,its fills that caveat with an ideology of commodity fetishism largely propagated by bullshit. In hifi , this is largely an ideology of "better sound quality of high end equipment"

it is IMO the reason for the state we are in . You may not agree . However it is because of this I take issue with the price .
cressy
Shed dweller

#49 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by cressy »

Yes Richard, a very good one imo, but isnt the price largely irrelevant? Everything is worth what someone will pay for it
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#50 Re: The best phono stage there is

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:11 am Cressy your comments are speculative , the fact is nobody knows.
I know, I have been building phono stages for over 30 years, so I know exactly what they cost, including all the development work, and quite simply £10k is ludicrous.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#51 Re: The best phono stage there is

cressy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:16 am Yes Richard, a very good one imo, but isnt the price largely irrelevant? Everything is worth what someone will pay for it
Price is everything after suitability for use and quality of the job it is doing. People can buy what they want, they can be ripped off with pleasure, it is their freedom. BUT is also mine and others freedom to comment on it.
Greg
Social outcast

#52 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Greg »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:48 am cop out . I await your reasons why the response was appalling .
Well, no actually, I've already commented on some of it but let's envelope it in 'Professionalism'.
To drill down, start with spelling, then work on grammar and sentence construction. It does after all represent what might be an official court document or an example of such. When I prepared papers for court, nothing would personally, professionally allowed me to submit such a substandard item. YMMV.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#53 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Daniel Quinn »

:laughing2:

dear o dear -

Its a hifi forum response to a bollocks threat , get a life .

lest see your response to PFP threat including any substantive legal deficiencies or did you just type other peoples work :wink:
cressy
Shed dweller

#54 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by cressy »

You are in a position that the average buyer isnt though Richard, as you have been building something that does the same job for a long time
You know what is involved so can comment based on knowledge, not just on some words on a forum that you dont agree with. Personally, I think that you could price your phono stage alot higher than you do, with justification for that price. But you have your own reasons for setting your price as you do.
The thing that I object to, is that having seen the price of the music first, dq dismisses it as simply an expensive set of boxes with no justification for the price, surmising that the vast majority of said ten grand goes into daves pockets dismissing the work that has gone into it, without considering what goes into designing and building a brand new product.
A differing opinion to that of dq that i am just as entitled to
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#55 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I object to you making the exact opposite assumption you moron and I am bloody sure I made my assumption from a better foundation than you did .

* ps a moron is not an insult it is a term for a person with a iq of between 50 and 70 and I consider that to be safe conclusion about your good self :D
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
cressy
Shed dweller

#56 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by cressy »

Your point being?
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#57 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Daniel Quinn »

?

you object to me assuming a £10,000 mm phono stage is ridiculously priced .

I object to you assuming it is not ridiculously priced and consider this to be a moronic assumption

there is far more evidence to suggest my assumption is better founded than yours , so essentially you are getting on your high horse because I have a different opinion than you and can justify my opinion far more than you have : Go figure
cressy
Shed dweller

#58 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by cressy »

:D
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#59 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Cressy Snr »

Chill DQ, get in the Now. Go and look at the flowers. :flower:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
cressy
Shed dweller

#60 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by cressy »

:D :D