The best phono stage there is

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Lee S
Old Hand

#31 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Lee S »

£40K for a heart transplant would be a complete waste of money to me as there is nothing wrong with my current heart... however... my current cheapo crappy phono stage.. that's another matter... £10K is a snip if it brings me true happiness and joy.. :lol:
©2020 Lee
Greg
Social outcast

#32 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Greg »

Yes, and £10k is not that far up the scale in terms of what can be spent on high end kit, so if for that you get the best Phono stage there is, it would seem an absolute bargain :D
Nick
Site Admin

#33 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Nick »

Can we just say, at no point have I claimed its the best that there is. There are many I have not heard, and best is a very subjective thing.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Michael L
Old Hand

#34 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Michael L »

The best phono stage I ever had in the house was in a Musical Fidelity MVX II preamp. It's over 20 years since I had the preamp on loan but I remember how much I enjoyed listening to Neil Young in particular. Did anyone here ever try or own one? I used it with a pair of MF MA50 mono blocs.
Neal
Shed dweller

#35 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Neal »

The 'review' is poor on a number of levels, actually very poor....
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#36 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Leaving aside irrelevant posts lacking empathy .

leaving aside the shortcoming of the actual review

leaving aside the ridiculous notion that one phono box would suit everybody and thus the notion of best in the world is ridiculous .

The facts is that between 40% and 60% of the price of this phono stage is because the person who made it , sent it to some person in Huddersfield who looks after it till you buy it and then sends it to you. Now if that isn't funny , I don't know what is :wink:
Nick
Site Admin

#37 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Nick »

The facts is that between 40% and 60% of the price of this phono stage is because the person who made it , sent it to some person in Huddersfield who looks after it till you buy it and then sends it to you. Now if that isn't funny , I don't know what is :wink:
Interesting fact, but in this case not true, David advertises them as he has one, but the actual product is sold and distributed by Music First Audio, not MCRU.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#38 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I see the price on the MCRU website is the exact same price as on the music first website .

a philanthropic dave , well I never :wink:

In that case the price becomes a moral one and arguments somewhat more complex and furthermore the logistics of the price are difficult to establish.

10,000 still funny for 2 box mm phono stage
Nick
Site Admin

#39 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Nick »

a philanthropic dave , well I never
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio
Greg
Social outcast

#40 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Greg »

No work to do in the office (again) today DQ?

A Preston based lawyer no doubt is well down the pecking order. All the more reason to spend your work time usefully such as concentrating on improving your advocacy, an appaulling example of which you recently deposited in a reply to pfp on HFS.

Just thought I'd comment on your work, similar to you commenting on Nick's. Seems fair comment to me.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#41 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Greg wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:06 am No work to do in the office (again) today DQ?

A Preston based lawyer no doubt is well down the pecking order. All the more reason to spend your work time usefully such as concentrating on improving your advocacy, an appaulling example of which you recently deposited in a reply to pfp on HFS.

Just thought I'd comment on your work, similar to you commenting on Nick's. Seems fair comment to me.
Seems to have done the trick :D ,I would welcome your comments and suggestions for improvement { given your spelling of "appalling" I do hope your comments are not limited to spelling } Perhaps you could start a thread on the limitation of DQ'S response to pfp .

you do realise Greg , your post says far more about you than it does me :D
cressy
Shed dweller

#42 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by cressy »

What on earth is all this crap about then?
Who cares how much it cost? Things dont all cost ten pence to design build and market.
You object to the price, dont buy one. Simple.
Greg
Social outcast

#43 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Greg »

Ha ha! DQ commenting on spelling! It'll be grammar next :roll: :lol: Apart from the expected but poorly done topic deviation, you couldn't, no really, you couldn't make it up.

Thank you DQ, Your're good entertainment value. That improved my morning no end!
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#44 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Why is it thread crap , it is a legitimate response to the hyperbole of declaring it the best phono stage in the world.

why do you feel the need to be so bombastic and dictatorial about the direction a thread as taken because you do not like it ?

And it is not simply a case of personal choice .
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#45 Re: The best phono stage there is

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Greg wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:46 am Ha ha! DQ commenting on spelling! It'll be grammar next :roll: :lol: Apart from the expected but poorly done topic deviation, you couldn't, no really, you couldn't make it up.

Thank you DQ, Your're good entertainment value. That improved my morning no end!
cop out . I await your reasons why the response was appalling .