Question about PTP Top Plate for Lenco GL-75

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Irene Idler
User

#1 Question about PTP Top Plate for Lenco GL-75

Post by Irene Idler »

David and I are bidding on a Lenco GL-75 at the moment with the thought that it would make a good travelling deck to show off the Beast with Two Backs once it's finished. We'd want to mount it in a new plinth, of course, and in terms of style we both like the clean look of this one:

http://thevinyladventure.com/product/le ... turntable/

According to the listing, because of the PTP top plate you have to actually remove the platter to change the speed, but neither of us really understand why you couldn't just add a little more clearance to leave room for the speed selector. It actually wouldn't be a big deal to swap it the way the seller describes, since this would be a dedicated 78 deck at home anyway[1], and spending a couple of minutes swapping styli and speeds before we take it out isn't a dealbreaker. We're just curious what the issue would be here.

[1] I have a small but rather nice collection of 78s, which I currently play on a portable Victrola. While I use cactus needles, which theoretically shouldn't cause any harm to the records, I want to take the best care of them I can, and getting better sound out of them wouldn't suck either.
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
cressy
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Question about PTP Top Plate for Lenco GL-75

Post by cressy »

The ptp plate is quite abit thicker than a stock 75 pan and the speed adjustment linkage is deleted partially because of this and partially because the linkage is supposed to be detrimental to sound quality. The solid fixing of the idler arm is the result. If i remember correctly to change the speed you undo a nut, slide the idler arm assembly to where you want it and then lock it back down with the nuts. On a standard deck the standard idler arm drops onto the top of a pin that runs in a slot in the top plate. There are 2 plates that sit above and below the top plate, the bottom one has 2 dowels that stick up and locate in the slot. The linkage has a certain clearance between the top and underside of the pan allowing it to slide when you move the speed change lever.
The 2 plates are held in place by a single nut on the end of the pin that the arm drops onto which wont reach through the ptp plate
Cheers ant
Irene Idler
User

#3 Re: Question about PTP Top Plate for Lenco GL-75

Post by Irene Idler »

I see! I also found info on another site that indicated that using the PTP top plate, you can only use the 33 and 45RPM settings, which would be a lose for us. So I guess that idea is out. The next best-looking one I've seen is the original version of the first one you did, using the original chassis -- I was looking at Google Images, spotted it, thought, "That looks perfect," and then clicked the link and said "Oh, him!"

The bidding has heated up, so we may have to keep looking anyway, but if we get it, we'll no doubt want to talk to you. Not that we don't have other things we want to talk to you about. How would you feel about building an amp cabinet something like this one? 8)

"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
cressy
Shed dweller

#4 Re: Question about PTP Top Plate for Lenco GL-75

Post by cressy »

That is very groovy! Shouldnt be a problem. Not sure why you couldn't run a ptp at 78 though unless the slot is shorter. Id have a word with Nat and dom at northwest analogue about it, the pictured one looks very much like one dom did a while back, I know they built a few ptp's.
Also have a look at the gl69 and 72 with the steel platters, unless you want to run an mc cart the light platter ones can be very good, maybe better suited to the brief you have. The motors and idler wheel are the same just the bearing is a little less hefty.
Cheers ant
guy
User

#5 Re: Question about PTP Top Plate for Lenco GL-75

Post by guy »

Irene Idler wrote:David and I are bidding on a Lenco GL-75 at the moment with the thought that it would make a good travelling deck to show off the Beast with Two Backs once it's finished.
:shock:

(Sorry, I don't mean to thread crap but couldn't resist)
Irene Idler
User

#6 Re: Question about PTP Top Plate for Lenco GL-75

Post by Irene Idler »