Thorens TD-160 Mk1 anything obvious that needs an Update/UpGrade

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Paul-H
User

#1 Thorens TD-160 Mk1 anything obvious that needs an Update/UpGrade

Post by Paul-H »

Hi all

I have a bog standard Thorens TD-160 Mk1 and was wondering if there is anything obvious with this design that could do with an update/upgrade

So starting with a bog standard out of the factory model what sould I change/modify to improve its already good sound.

I have just fitted a new belt and oiled the platter and motor bearings and replaced the ancient interconnects with some Van Damme Interconnects so not quit bog standard, but where to go next

Options I have seen on others examples have been

Changing the tonearm,

Replacing the Plinth with a solid wood option.

Replacing the plinth base with something more solid that the hardboard used.

Fitting spiked feet

Sticking cork to the underside of the metal panels.

Would any of the above provide an improvement on its already good sound.

Any other recommendations.

Or would I be better of saving the money and just buying a better turntable

Thanks for any input on this

Paul
shane
Social outcast

#2 Re: Thorens TD-160 Mk1 anything obvious that needs an Update/UpGrade

Post by shane »

All of the steps you mention would significantly
improve what is already a good turntable. Start with the simple stuff, to which I would add trying different mats and taking the foam rubber out of the suspension springs (if it's still there). After that, a more substantial plinth for which you might want to talk to our Ant (AKA Cressy), and then the arm. Lots of suggestions there, my current favourite being the Mission 774, but the choice is enormous.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
cressy
Shed dweller

#3 Re: Thorens TD-160 Mk1 anything obvious that needs an Update/UpGrade

Post by cressy »

Hi paul, a nice little tweak for the mat on these is to make one out of a roll of the non slip mat stuff you can get in a roll. Its usually blow sorbothane and is in a sort of grid shape.
I got a roll from b&m for 3 quid and cut one out.
Cheers ant
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Thorens TD-160 Mk1 anything obvious that needs an Update/UpGrade

Post by Mike H »

There's a thread on here somewhere about me fitting a Rega RB250 arm onto mine, with various mods to the arm including rewiring with Litz. I kept the stock plinth but covered the interior and also the metal panels with Dynamat. I'm using a felt mat which is much nicer than the stock rubber item, and have a drop of engine oil in the bottom of the main bearing.

One thing though you MUST get the cartridge aligned properly with a proper protractor (don't use the provided Thorens perspex alignment tool), and I use electronic mini scales to check/set the tracking weight.

HTH

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."