Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
cressy
Shed dweller

#46 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by cressy »

Hi greg, it was done in order to get the on off lever out of the way around the back of the plinth.
When i did the first one in the walnut plinth it was in a more normal place at the front but still interfered with the ergonomics as the cart was still too close to it for comfort. The second one that mi dad has it was round the back but too close to the counterweight so better, but still a potential pain in the arse.
Simons has it around the back about an inch from the front to back centreline of the platter making it about 80mm away from the back of the arm which it pretty safe to get at without clouting the arm when trying to turn it off.
Part of simons brief was that she who must be obeyed was to be able to use it. Reorienting the chassis plate means that the linkage only needed one extra link bar making and the original one modifying slightly to accept it.
It also means that I could get the control lever as far away from the rear of the arm as possible but still maintain the shape of the deck.
I havent come across any issues in terms of hum from the coils on the motor interfering with the carts, with either the ortofon mc10, simons kontrapunkt b, or the shure and at carts mi dad has had on his.
Cheers ant
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#47 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by pre65 »

Sounds very well thought out Ant.

Go for it Greg. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#48 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by simon »

For such a well engineered turntable I struggle to understand why they put the on/off lever so close to the cartridge. There must have been countless casualties over the years.

Putting the on/off lever round the back but not too close to the arm is a good compromise I think. Sure it'd be better round the front somewhere, but then it would be a different deck.
Phil Y
User

#49 Re: Ant's Latest Lenco Build

Post by Phil Y »

A lovely looking conversion.

With a standard top plate, the simple solution is to move the arm across before you switch the motor on, although that is no help if your arm doesn't have a cue mechanism.

Phil.