Greg's Mayware Formula 4 Rebuild

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#91 Re: Greg's Mayware Formula 4 Rebuild

Post by Cressy Snr »

cressy wrote:I see no way to get the idler away from the motor spindle and platter inner edge when it isn't running though?
They provide a stick that you have to poke in to shift the idler wheel arm away. It needs a linkage. Some things you have to do mechanically. Looks like they have though "ooh shit" and have had to come up with the stick bodge. Surely some sort of normally out solenoid could engage the idler when power is applied to the motor and disengage it when power is removed. After all, the motor is DC, so no problem you would think.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#92 Re: Greg's Mayware Formula 4 Rebuild

Post by Paul Barker »

maybe the intension was more purist idea of no levers and hinges and springs hanging off the motor during play. I would sacrifice the convenience of the baggage hanging off everything if it stepped the sound up a notch.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#93 Re: Greg's Mayware Formula 4 Rebuild

Post by Paul Barker »

Paul Barker wrote:maybe the intension was more purist idea of no levers and hinges and springs hanging off the motor during play. I would sacrifice the convenience of the baggage hanging off everything if it stepped the sound up a notch.
Additionally, makes no sense to put a £5k product to market with such a method tacked on as if it were an afterthouht. I think it was part of the design aim.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#94 Re: Greg's Mayware Formula 4 Rebuild

Post by Cressy Snr »

I just can't help thinking, that it would only take one incident of forgetfulness (ie you go to bed, tired after a late night listening session and forget to shove the stick in) to bugger up your idler wheel. At the price they are asking, things like this need to be fail-safe. You should be able to turn the thing off and leave it, like you can with any other turntable.
They could easily fit a solenoid, micro motor or even a bit of hydraulics onto the top plate to actuate the idler arm and link it to the PSU electronics, it doesn't need to be anywhere near the drive motor. I'm sure that if the Japanese had designed this TT, they would have done something about the disengagement problem. To me they are spoiling the ship for the proverbial.
But all the same it's good to see a British manufacturer taking on the design of a brand new idler drive turntable.
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#95 Re: Greg's Mayware Formula 4 Rebuild

Post by Thermionic Idler »

I agree Steve - I couldn't live with that level of user unfriendliness - but I can tell you that Shaun is actually working on that aspect, I was over at his place earlier in the year when I took my Koetsu cartridges to be assessed prior to sale. He was building the power supplies in his conservatory. I have seen and listened to the turntable in question and it really is beautifully engineered and sounds fantastic - remember it costs a hell of a lot less than Loricraft now charge for their 501.

With regard to the mat, Shaun gave me one to try out - I previously had the Funk Firm Achromat on my 301. Gotta say - the SMD one sounded better so that's the one I now use. Doesn't need a big weight - I use a Herbies Audio Lab stabiliser which only weighs about 6oz - does the job fine.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#96 Re: Greg's Mayware Formula 4 Rebuild

Post by Cressy Snr »

Thanks for the extra info Dave,
It's good to see he's working on the "problem"
"Herbie's Audio Lab" great name for a firm.

Our Ant's firm should be called " Ant's Analog Chop Shop" :mrgreen: