Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Well I've made my first move towards a return to taking vinyl a bit more seriously as a source, by ordering a Shure M97EX cartridge. The reason for the Shure is that I know from my previous experience with an M97ED that these are good cartridges with a nice, warm sound.
The Shure will debut, when it arrives, on the RB250 fitted to the Lenco. My no1 priority with the record player, that trumps all others is that the damn thing tracks, end of, and with a top-end Shure moving magnet, you can be sure that tracking has been taken care of.
At the moment, vinyl is OK in my system, it does nothing wrong; the Ortofon MC10/Rega combination sounds competent, if a little cold and matter-of-fact. An audiophile friend whose ears I respect visited yesterday and came to that conclusion, independent of my own observations, so I think we can say that vinyl has a bit more progress to make before it reaches the standard of my current computer setup. I think it just needs warming up a bit, then I will be more than satisfied.

With the greatest of respect to the others on here who have invested heavily in vinyl reproduction, I won't be getting into the increasing cost spiral that can be associated with analogue, as the turntable will be a secondary source; something to play my long neglected records with; something that I can get enjoyment out of instead of frustration.

Now a question. Suitable, not too expensive arms for the Shure. I'm well out of touch; can't pretend otherwise. :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by pre65 »

I don't know how they are priced these days, but an SME 3009 used to suit Shure cartridges well.

Somewhere I have a V15 VST V body, and one day I will invest in a Jico stylus for it.

I sold my last SME 3009 arm and now use an RB300 Rega arm, but, in hindsight (wonderful is it not) I wish I'd kept it.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#3 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Paul Barker »

I heard Steve,s system last night. new amp considerable step up. arm and cart shyte. Deck great.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#4 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Paul Barker »

Sometimes you have to think outside the box. Bid on stuff like this, bin the wood box. Get Anth to make a decent plinth and sell the 401 without arm and cart.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252410212805
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#5 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Paul Barker »

You could also make a homemade unipivot or magnet bearing arm. Both would be a big upgrade.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by pre65 »

Paul Barker wrote:Sometimes you have to think outside the box. Bid on stuff like this, bin the wood box. Get Anth to make a decent plinth and sell the 401 without arm and cart.

And what's wrong with a 401 ? :shock:

It may well be less expensive to purchase a complete turntable + arm, and this would be a prime example. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#7 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Ali Tait »

Steve, as I mentioned previously, you will not do better than a Mission 774 for the money IMO. A great arm, and way better than the Tecnoarm I was using before.
shane
Social outcast

#8 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by shane »

Wot Ali said!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Paul Barker

#9 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Paul Barker »

pre65 wrote:
Paul Barker wrote:Sometimes you have to think outside the box. Bid on stuff like this, bin the wood box. Get Anth to make a decent plinth and sell the 401 without arm and cart.

And what's wrong with a 401 ? :shock:

It may well be less expensive to purchase a complete turntable + arm, and this would be a prime example. :)
I thought Steve would want to support Anth by buying his turntable.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yes I'm buying the Lenco off him, but the RB250 is obviously his and he needs to get it back on his JBE deck, which is why I'm looking for an arm. I'll need a decent phono stage as well, Knew this would get expensive :lol:
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by IslandPink »

Mayware Formula IV , beloved of (me), James and Paul (I think ?). Not as cheap as they were, but worth looking for if you can get one for <£200. Much better than a 3009 ( and a 3012 II in my experience ) . The 3009 loses tone in the mids due to that rubber counterweight bushing business.
Should work fine with a high-ish compliance catridge like the Shure ; it even works v.well with the 103R with a lot of headshell mass as I use it. Best I've used for vocal tone and microdynamics - better than the OL Silver, OL Illustrious, 3012/II .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Greg
Social outcast

#12 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Greg »

Steve,

I have a Mayware F4 that is completely dismantled and has long been awaiting a rebuild. It is in good condition. It is complete and with a printed downloaded manual.

If you buy my supper at Owston, you can have it.
Paul Barker

#13 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Paul Barker »

IslandPink wrote: and Paul (I think ?)
Rightly quoted. I'll bring mine back into service as my air bearing arm is a pile of pooh.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Greg wrote:Steve,

I have a Mayware F4 that is completely dismantled and has long been awaiting a rebuild. It is in good condition. It is complete and with a printed downloaded manual.

If you buy my supper at Owston, you can have it.
Now thats an offer I can't refuse Greg. Sounds good to me.

Cheers
Greg
Social outcast

#15 Re: Help me with my return to the vinyl fold.

Post by Greg »

Cressy Snr wrote:Now thats an offer I can't refuse Greg. Sounds good to me.

Cheers
You're very welcome. I'll dig it out and bring it with me. I think I also have some quality arm wire, cartridge tags and the required quality miniature din socket and plug to go with it. Oh, and some good quality Van Damme microphone cable for your external leads. All you'll need to find is some RCA/ balanced plugs to finish it off.