Phono stage circuit recommendations

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
cressy
Shed dweller

#1 Phono stage circuit recommendations

Post by cressy »

Can anyone recommend a circuit to build that is relatively simple?
I want something that isn't going to need a large case or a particularly large PSU as I'm abit pushed for space.
There's plenty of circuits out there but I would rather have one of you guys recommend one than have something I'll have to bugger about with, or flail around in the dark trying to pick one that I'm not sure will sound any good.

I've given up on the nuvistor one as I just can't seem to get rid of heater hum no matter what I do to it a combination of a low 2.1v and relatively large current are making it maddeningly difficult to shut up even with nicks regulator board giving it a silent HT.

I don't need mc gain as I have the ortofon step up for the mc 10 that came with it

Cheers ant
shane
Social outcast

#2 Re: Phono stage circuit recommendations

Post by shane »

This would interest me too.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#3 Re: Phono stage circuit recommendations

Post by Nick »

Something like what Thomas has built would be my suggestions for something simple(ish) and a step up from a ecc83 circuit like the WD one.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Phono stage circuit recommendations

Post by Mike H »

Dare I mention a transistor circuit?

I'm currently looking at a simple 2 transistor Lenco design.

Or shall I get me coat...

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
cressy
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Phono stage circuit recommendations

Post by cressy »

No I'm quite happy to look at an all solid state circuit, I quite like the idea of a transistor input section then a valve output stage too. Didn't someone do one that had a jfet front end and a valve on the output?

I have a fuzzy recollection of reading this here at some point
shane
Social outcast

#6 Re: Phono stage circuit recommendations

Post by shane »

Is that the VV7 that you're looking at, Mike? I've got one of those knocking around in the shed somewhere, but I've never listened to it. I just sort of assumed it wouldn't be up to much.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Phono stage circuit recommendations

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote:Something like what Thomas has built would be my suggestions for something simple(ish) and a step up from a ecc83 circuit like the WD one.
Thomas bought his self-designed Phono stage round here last weekend and we directly compared his latest to my recently finished valve rect'd and regulated PSU'd WD Phono 3. His was noticeably cleaner in the bass than the WD which is very good too (IMO) but his soundstage was wider and more 'solid' in form, like a wall of sound in comparison to my near bog standard WD Phono 3 which does left/right well but sounded 'holey' for want of a better word.

I'm not just saying this because he's in the Kent Massiff BTW! :lol: It really is VERY VERY impressive, I hope he brings it to Owster's so y'all can hear what it does too.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Phono stage circuit recommendations

Post by IslandPink »

Nice ! - very pleased it worked out so well, I knew the circuit was good but not sure exactly how good.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Phono stage circuit recommendations

Post by pre65 »

I don't play vinyl that often, but I'd be interested to hear the "Thomas" phono stage, with a view to building one next season.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Phono stage circuit recommendations

Post by Mike H »

shane wrote:Is that the VV7 that you're looking at, Mike? I've got one of those knocking around in the shed somewhere, but I've never listened to it. I just sort of assumed it wouldn't be up to much.
I believe it is, did a sim of it in LTspice it works OK. And as it has NFB can also drive a long screened lead and a load. Think I did post the circuit, but can do so again.

Think it's in my topic "while I had a spare moment"

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Neal
Shed dweller

#11 Re: Phono stage circuit recommendations

Post by Neal »

Mark, do you have a link to the cct, I'm too lazy to search the forum! LOL.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Lee S
Old Hand

#12 Re: Phono stage circuit recommendations

Post by Lee S »

Does anyone have the circuit for Thomas' phono or a link to a thread maybe? I fancied building a MM SS phono stage and was going to get a Slee DAK Genera but if there is something better for less wedge.... 8)
©2020 Lee
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Phono stage circuit recommendations

Post by IslandPink »

My phono circuit was shown on this page - but check through the thread to see if there were any variations Thomas put in, can't remember exactly.
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 9&start=15
As I said in the thread, component choice in phonos is very critical, I put in my preferences in the comments.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
thomas
Old Hand

#14 Re: Phono stage circuit recommendations

Post by thomas »

Dave the bass wrote:
Nick wrote:Something like what Thomas has built would be my suggestions for something simple(ish) and a step up from a ecc83 circuit like the WD one.
Thomas bought his self-designed Phono stage round here last weekend and we directly compared his latest to my recently finished valve rect'd and regulated PSU'd WD Phono 3. His was noticeably cleaner in the bass than the WD which is very good too (IMO) but his soundstage was wider and more 'solid' in form, like a wall of sound in comparison to my near bog standard WD Phono 3 which does left/right well but sounded 'holey' for want of a better word.

I'm not just saying this because he's in the Kent Massiff BTW! :lol: It really is VERY VERY impressive, I hope he brings it to Owster's so y'all can hear what it does too.

That's far too kind but thanks DTB!

Well I never thought I'd have a phonostage named after me but I'm going to milk it!

I've drawn it out again with a few amendments

I had to clean up my fingernail…...
Attachments
Thomas phonostage.jpg
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: Phono stage circuit recommendations

Post by Mike H »