Balanced Phono Wiring

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 Balanced Phono Wiring

Post by simon »

I'd like to try running my tonearm wiring balanced from the cartridge to the step ups. If I leave "+" and "-" wires floating then it hums so I think I need a pseudo earth (otherwise they're not balanced I guess).

I can't find anything out there on the net but do I simply add say a couple of 1k resistors in series at the input to the step ups, between "+" and "-", then connect earth to the middle of them?

Are there any particular pros and cons of balanced in this way?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

A screen might work?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Yeah, would do I'm sure. Balanced should negate this though? I guess there's a good reason why most phone wiring isn't balanced per se.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Most are, I thought, least that's how I do it.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Check its actually flaoting, ie, its not earthed at one side at the cartridge end.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Good point, easy enough to change.
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

It was definitely floating - I twisted 4 lengths of kynar together and connected to the cart and step ups. It was only when I earthed the "-" wires that the hum became bearable. Which made me think they might not have been properly balanced originally.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I had exactly the same experience a few years ago . Couldn't get a good result without one side earthed .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Oh dear, that doesn't bode well. Did you try a pseudo earth Mark?
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

This may or may not help.

I re-wired my Mission 774 to balanced config a while ago, taking the four signal leads to a 5-way tag strip inside the plinth of the TT2, and the arm earth to the fifth tag. I then used 2-core screened interconnect cable (Navships stuff, PTFE and silver plated copper, a bit like WD's ICT of old) with the screens taken to the fifth tag. I took the interconnects to a 5-pin din plug with the screens to pin 2, and mounted my BBC-type SUTs in an ally box with a 5-pin DIN socket. I connected the signal pins of the DIN socket to the i/p pins on the SUTs, took one of the SUT o/p pins on each channel to an insulated phono socket, and star-earthed the other o/p pin, the case, the SUT bodies and the phono socket bodies back to the earth pin of the DIN socket.

Not a whisper of a hum....
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Thanks Shane, perhaps I just need to screen the wires? Though the hum's okay with the neg wire grounded. Perhaps I should just leave it as it is and concentrate on something more productive!
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

If you've go no screening at all, that's probably going to be it. Although balanced operation should in theory wipe out the hum induced, in practice, it often doesn't!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Yes, and the wires are quite long, maybe a couple of meters which won't help. My thoughts were to go balanced to cancel any hum, but that didn't work! Its interesting that the same wires don't hum if I earth the neg wire though. I might have to try some navships stuff just out of curiosity.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

It's good stuff and not hugely expensive. Bit of a bugger to strip though!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231178888917