'Guru' set-up via Allen Wright

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 'Guru' set-up via Allen Wright

Post by IslandPink »

Just been looking more carefully at my tonearm set-up since I got back from Owston.
I landed on some interesting & slightly different instructions on Allen Wright's old Vacuum State website :
http://www.vacuumstate.com/fileupload/GuruSetUp.pdf
I was interested to follow this, as I have had quite a bit of variability in the sound I get out of the cart/deck, and sometimes I get short-lived bursts of 'magic' which I can't always seem to find again .
I went to the trouble of downloading the 'guru protractor' :
http://www.vacuumstate.com/fileupload/G ... ractor.pdf
..and printing it out on OHP film on our work's printer. If you do this, make sure in the print set-up you use 'Exact size' rather than 'Fit' in the options. Also make sure your boss is away on business !

So, I followed this new protractor set-up , and then checked against my standard Ortofon one. The cart is turned-in more towards the centre by a small but significant amount, I noticed.
Today I have been working on the other aspects, particularly anti-skate. I'm finding I need less than I thought , using careful listening with the 'guru' instructions . It's also more sensitive than I realised , which is good, as it's more clear when things are right. The dynamics of the bass and treble seem to fit together better and be more 'natural' when it's close or correct.

Overall I'm very pleased so far, as I'm getting closer to the 'magic' set-ups I've had at times in the past. In particular, I'm getting much better detail and less distortion in the inner tracks now .

I'll update later if I get more improvement .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Did a fair bit of fiddling with anti-skate last week .
It's getting much clearer how the whole thing should sound . It's all about getting the same level of dynamics and 'downward dynamic range' ( holding small detail during loud passges ) on the two channels .

I'm just listening now to 'Three of a perfect pair' by King Crimson, and it does sound like "I've never had it so good" !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"