Cartridge Tip opinions wanted

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Cartridge Tip opinions wanted

Post by Paul Barker »

I have a hope to set up my vinyl again. Can't afford yet another re-tip of DVXX1L or rewind of coil in Hyphonic MC05.

So here are the tips on my quality used cartridges. Do these look playable?

This is an SP15 SL eliptical without transformers but it is the low output model. I have transformers no ortpohon transformers but could use a fet or opamp at the beginning of phono stage.

This is the later (black plasic) SPU Eliptical transformer model.

OF those two to me the SL15 tip seems sharper at the end. But I am conscerned if the azimuth is correct on both of these. IT might be just me.

this one is an EMT OFS 65 which is a mono cart. It definately needs azimuth aligning.

Finally the trusty modern cooking cart the Denon 103 basic model wrapped with solder to damp the box which makes a considerable sound difference but doesn't make it an SPU. I also have a new boxed 103.

So

What do we think of the tips?

what do we think of Paul trying to straighten up the asimuth? Will paul end up with another broken one to join the two high class cart's he has already broken?
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Don't touch anything until we give you the go-ahead !

To be honest i don't know if that sort of magnification is enough to tell us what's going on and how they should look compared to new .
It reminds me though that I need to get on to Expert Stylus and see if they can stil do re-tips on eg. 103R as I now have at least two waiting to be renewed .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Yep, you need waaaay more magnification Paul to see if they are OK. Something like one of those 500x USB microscopes with good lighting either side of the cartridge...

I wouldn't use Expert Stylus anymore, they keep your cartridge for far too long (Months and Months) and they are not the most competitively priced. I would use Goldring after a recent DL103D rebuild, new cantilever, Fine Line Stylus and coil rewind for £270 all in and returned in under 2 weeks. Not sure of the price for just a retip but it'll be good.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

OK thanks, that was an 8X loop.

I'll have to get hold of a microscope or something.

in that case, just to be safe I'll start the unused 103 which is an OK cooking cart anyway. Having not had vinyl at home for years it will be a massive upgrade anyway.

Thanks for the opinions. (was temped to say thanks for the tips :D )
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

The Goldring info is very welcome, Neal . Do you have a link with phone number , or a name of contact for that type of work ?
E.S. used to be able to do the basic re-tip for about £125 a few years ago, but they wouldn't even accept the cartridge sometimes - you'd have to wait 3 months till their waiting list subsided !
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I think it was ES who did my dvxx1l the last time. IT dropped off in about a month, without a alot of use. I should have sent it back but it was years ago now.

Looking through the loop at what remains it was a bit of a mash up job.

Lost faith in the whole re-tip market at that time.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Paul Barker wrote:
Thanks for the opinions. (was temped to say thanks for the tips :D )
That'd be conical....

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

You could also try Dominic Harper (Northwest Analogue).

http://www.northwestanalogue.com/
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I am aware of Dominic but I have no money to spend on new tips at the moment.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

IslandPink wrote:The Goldring info is very welcome, Neal . Do you have a link with phone number , or a name of contact for that type of work ?
Here you go, just enquire via the web site and they will get back to you...

http://www.goldring.co.uk/repair-and-refurbishment.htm
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

OK good old uncle David came up trumps with a Zeiss Microscope.

The SPU with transformers has a fairly rounded tip, but it could arguably be normal.

The others have sharp tips.

For the simplicity of set up I decided just to use a NOS cartridge that I seem to have bought in the distant past. Ortofon MC25 FL (fine line). I checked the tip and it is pin sharp, probably because of the fine line element. I suppose it is finding a part of the record never played before.

Before deciding on it I checked the reviews, which turn out to be personal subjective opinions of any old Jack.

One main reason to pick it was I don't really have an arm suitable for the SPU transformer model.

So for simplicity of setup I put it on the air bearing arm.

This cartridge is pretty much as described in the reviews you would find if you googled it. So i am pleased it is a result I can listen to happily, and with the tip being in best condition I am happy about lowering it into the groove.

I must say what a relief it is to be back in the world of vinyl. It just sounds so good.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Re. Goldring -
I got this reply , after I asked for a re-tip on two 103R cartridges :

"Hi Mark,
Due to the constriction(sic) of this cartridge I cannot rebuild it.
Best Regards"

I'm not sure I understand that comment, but it's very frustrating .
I'll see if I can contact Expert Stylus on the phone today.
Even if i can't get them to do it for 3 months, at least I might be able to get it in a queue .
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

I'd speak to Dominic Harper at Northwest Analogue. He'll provide the service and knows his way around the 103's very well having built his own version based on an original.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

IslandPink wrote: "Hi Mark,
Due to the constriction(sic) of this cartridge I cannot rebuild it.
Best Regards"
your problem is the

cost of a new one is less than the cost of the minimum re-tip job.

Also with a new cart you get new suspension and I presume a guarantee.

My cart I had re-tipped twice was originally £1,000. then it is worth the investment. but as it turned out both times the re-tip wasn't exactly a resounding success. One of those was by Expert stylus.

I wouldn't bother sending them a cart that cost less than the re-tip. Even if they claim to do a better job than manufacturer. Unless they want to send you one of their wander conversions try before you buy!
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Sorry I crossed with Greg there. Wasn't aware that was the cart which dominic upgraded. My post above wasn't intended as a slight on his work. It was meant to be generalised comment.

hope I haven't caused offense.

I have to admit to two out of two bad cartridge tipping experiences. But haven't sent one to Dominic.

I have also had the "nothing we can do letter". but it was only a standard 103. Not surprised, should never had sent it at the price of the cart.