Cartridge Tip opinions wanted

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Well then .... !
Thanks for the info . I'll check who it was that e-mailed me back, see if was him or an 'oppo' , then go from there. Either way it needs another enquiry .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
rowuk
Old Hand

#32 New tip

Post by rowuk »

This guy gets great press from the other side of the pond:

http://www.sound-smith.com
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Good link for those in the US - nice to see some people out there continuing this sort of service.
For me it would be too expensive given the postage each way.

Neal - it was David Giffin I got the reply from .
I have e-mailed back with the info about your 103D and a request to clarify what the specific problem with doing the 103R would be .
Cheers !

Edit : Of course he's out of the office till 28th .....flippin eck !
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

He says he has to take the thing apart, replace the cantilever and diamond, and re-wind the coils . So, it's not cost-effective .... well that's not surprising .
Now to find someone who will do the job I actually want doing, rather than the job they want to do .
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I suppose it depends on the age. I understand that with modern low compliance carts the suspension doesn't last long either. So you get hooked into the full job as has happened to you, because I doubt they can renew the suspension without disturbing the coils (read, breaking the fine wire connections to the coils).
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

IslandPink wrote:He says he has to take the thing apart, replace the cantilever and diamond, and re-wind the coils . So, it's not cost-effective .... well that's not surprising .
Now to find someone who will do the job I actually want doing, rather than the job they want to do .
Yes, thats what he did to my 103D. It made it way better than the rebodied R I was using and also much better than a NOS SA but if it's not what you want then no good pursuing it...
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Yes, I see. These carts have only been used about 2-3 years each , one bought in 2008, one in 2011 . I know a 103R like this, just re-tipped, is fine for another 3 years, last time I had one done by Expert Stylus.
Maybe I should write to Expert Stylus to see if they respond , instead of trying to get them by phone !