good donor turntables

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
cressy
Shed dweller

#1 good donor turntables

Post by cressy »

Hi guys, any suggestions on decent donor turntables? I usually try to source a td 150 for its bearing, platter and motor but the prices are abit much these days for even ratty ones. So i got around to thinking that there are alternatives.
What about pioneer pl12's and the like, for bearings platters and motors, direct drive dj decks that are'nt technics sl series ones or others that are a little left field?
Im not interested in arms as I can stick my ol arm on or make one, i just want a good quality bearing and motor or dd motor.
Cheers for any input
Ant
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

My "home brew" turntable used the bearing and platter from a Logik DM101.

It's surplus to requirements now, and I'll post a photo of it if you like Ant.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

if you could phil, that'd be good
vinylspinner
User

Post by vinylspinner »

Hi Ant,

I have an Ariston RD80 in bits at the moment, very good bearing and platter, will let it go for £40 plus delivery.

Nigel
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

I use the guts from a mk1 technics sl150.
These, along with a few others, share the same drive mech. These are servo controled, not quartz like 1210's.

The good thing with these is you get a proper oil bath bearing. There is only a small pcb on the motor so its easy to re-plinth and the transformer and all the other electronics can be put in a seperate box.

You get great accuracy and stability, ease of use, and all thats left is to build a plinth according to whatever TT philosophy you believe.
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

This is all the electronics

which just leaves you this to re-home
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

hi graeme, i had an sl150 at one point and had trouble with its speed stability, but i built one from an sl3110 and that was fine. im not sure why, i think the 150 was just buggered when i got it. i did much the same as you but housed the circuitry inside the plinth. i'll have to dig a picture out of it.
the ariston sounds like a good proposition, thanks nigel, i'll have a think about that if i may.

i have some ideas rattling around my head again, i need to form a coherent plan for once.........
Attachments
ten quid technics.jpg
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

The trim pots (on the plinth and the 2 white ones in the middle of the pcb) get dirty and effect stability. They adjust speed.
The 2 vertical trims (not sure what they adjust) however have a huge impct on stability. Mine started playing up, but a slight tweek and re-set of these 2 sorted it.