Thomas Schick tonearm with SPU

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

Presumably because the sideways force becomes negligible in relation to the downwards force

Of course a parallel tracker doesn't have to contend with this !
Thoughts are just little stories that our brains tell us !
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Neal wrote: What I don't understand is how can a heavy tracking cartridge does not require some sort of BIAS to counteract this force.
I agree it's not clear why it would be less of an issue with a heavy VTF , as the required bias is usually some fraction of the VTF .
What does help is that I think the inward force drops rather quickly as the arm is made longer, so 12" arms are a lot more tolerant of not having bias.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

I have a very nice l70 tone arm, with no anti skate, it plays the m3d as well as my FR tone arms.

The stylus runs central which shows there's not too much pull from the arm
Unfortunately the spu won't fit...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Referring to e.g. my Gordon King book there's ways of finding out, like a test record and comparing both channels on a spectrum analyser, if memory serves, could probably see then what unwanted side thrust does

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."