Cheap phono stage and cartridge recommendations.

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
shane
Social outcast

#1 Cheap phono stage and cartridge recommendations.

Post by shane »

I just had a phone call from my nephew asking advice about turntables, the upshot being hat he came round and went off clutching my beloved but currently unused Heybrook TT2, for which he will be buying a Rega RB250 or 300, as this is what the armboard is cut for.

As his amp (Musical Fidelity E1) only does line level, he's going to be looking for a phono stage and cartridge that won't break the bank. Having had my requirements satisfied in the department for the last 30 years or so, I'm a bit out of touch with this market. Anyone have any recommendations?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Before anyone asks, I've no idea how this ended up in the Computer Audio section. Nick, feel free to put it somewhere more suitable if needed.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

I bought a Pro-Ject mm/mc/usb-out phono stage a year ago for around £120.00 and it sounds good to me.

For the money I'd recommend it but there again I haven't heard a whole lot of different phono stages so my opinion is limited to hearing the Pro-Ject and inbuilt phono stages on NAD 3030 and Pioneer A-400.

Oh, and a cheapie phono box which cost around £25.00, I've had years and I have no idea where it came from. This one is not particularly too good compared too what I've listed above.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

I'm probably the last person who should offer advice, having only just returned to vinyl after a long absence'

However. i can't help noticing that i prefer the overall sound of a cheap ebay phono amp(black plastic box), to a couple of more expensive ones.

Also, i recently bought the cheapest Audio Technica cartridge, and find it much more capable than the older ones i was using before.
If he has a large vinyl collection in good condition, i can understand him wanting better.
I'm happy with what i have for the time being.
Much to learn there is.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

i use one of these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-Phono ... 1e65cf4d72
it is very very good for the money. i was quite surprised how good it is. i was using it with an ortofon 2m red until it yet again got broken :x . did mean i had an excuse to buy an sae 1000lt cart though and as this is a high output mc it works with the phono stage too and is a stunning cart.
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40 ... sae+1000lt

one of these phonos and the 2m red will run to about 130 quid. i used the 2m on the jbe with my origin live ol1 (rb251) and it was a lovely combination. one of the rebadged rega rb251s will be about 130 ish. so for about 260 its a great combo.
or buy the sae which is only about 40 quid more and have a stunning combination.
the sae is a rebadged coral, and sound almost the same as my much loved coral 777ex. an absolute stunner for the money, i recently bought another as a spare

a cheap tweak to this phono stage is to use a regulated laptop supply instead of a battery, everything fills out and the sound gets more full bodied. give it a try :D
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Eventually, he decided to buy a used Arcam Diva A80 with built-in phono stage. Probably a reasonable choice, as if he doesn't like it it can go back on Ebay with little loss, and he doesn't then have an extra box in his very limited shelf space.

The arm and cartridge choice we arrived at has brought home to me how cheaply a vinyl system can be put together. He's gone for one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Pickering ... 978wt_1139
and one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ISOkinetik-RB ... 3855wt_905 .

Now I know there are plenty of people who knock the Rega arm, but to be able to get an arm/cartridge combo like this brand new for £153 looks pretty damn good to me!. I now have the happy task of putting it altogether and seeing what it sounds like.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Nah 'salright the ol' Rega, tho if you want to be really fussy could rewire it alternative counterweight etcetera :?:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

the only tweaks mine has is the hollow end stub has had a metal rod bashed into it, and the counterweight is a brass one with a grub screw to secure it instead of the original. simple little tweaks and make a small but apreciable difference. i was going to rewire it but i cant be bothered with the hassle, having rewired quite a few arms and read mikes thoughts on his rewire :D
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yes quite so, you want to be really keen .. Image

The brass counterweight is nice, that's what mine's got

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

My nephew has the advantage of being a gearbox designer for Lotus-Renault F1, so shouldn't have too much trouble knocking up a stub and counterweight!
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Just make sure it doesn't catch fire.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

I'll tell him you said that :lol:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Cruel but funny Image

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

shane wrote:I'll tell him you said that :lol:
I can live with that :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jazzminded
User

Post by jazzminded »

shane if my nephew came within 50 metres of my Heybrook TT2, my brother would have me up on charges.
The TT2 is a fantastic tt. I retro fitted mine with an early RB-300 on a carbon-fibre armboard. I turned conical feet out of some aircraft aluminum that I had and replaced the rather cheesey rubber feet that it originally shipped with.
I love the seamlessness of vinyl. The reality of two-channel stereo is still the best. In this day and age of decimalized speaker systems, I am not sure which orifice one uses to listen to the .1 of a 2.1 speaker setup!

Good luck retreiving your Heybrook! :-)