Shure V-15

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Shure V-15

Post by pre65 »

Hi,a question about the "fabled" Shure V-15 range.

Did they get "better" with each new version ?

There seem to be a few series 3 and 4 bodies around and new stylii are quite reasonably priced (and better so i read than the originals).

Cant afford the last VXMR or whatever but might try one in the SME arm on the 401 when it's finished.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

I had a V15VxMR for a while. Didnt like it though.

Add that to the fact that needles are made of unobtainium and i sold it.

I thought it was a little brittle maybe, i dunno, im tempted to say harsh but thats not it either.

Unforgiving maybe?

Whatever, i didnt get on with it.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

I have a V15 III and have tried it with two different Shure stylii and then tried the Jico SAS stylus which trounces the Shure ones in every respect.

Although I can't speak from personal experience there are reports on other forums that the V15 III was the best incarnation of this classic cartridge when fitted with the MR stylus but these are rare and go for silly money so I haven't been able to compare with the SAS.
Tucker99
User

Post by Tucker99 »

I have the v-15 Types III and IV, both with original styli, and both are great.
Aardvark
User

Post by Aardvark »

I've just started using a V15VxMR and am rather enjoying it - much more 3D than the DNM (Golding 1042 with knobs on) I have had most recently. I don't get Graeme's brittle or harsh but then it is in a SME 3009 which is reputedly a little soft itself. I find it very fast and very deep (Hz-wise and staging) - more music and less hifi.

AFWIW - the Jico replacement stylus seems to be available again.
Cheers
GregS
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Bizzie wrote:Although I can't speak from personal experience there are reports on other forums that the V15 III was the best incarnation of this classic cartridge when fitted with the MR stylus but these are rare and go for silly money so I haven't been able to compare with the SAS.
just my luck i've sold a couple of those in the last 3 years, always less than £25

all with good original stylus

i still have a mk2 version, never tried it though...

with most carts i've always found the midrange a bit flat, i went through a long stage with the m3d, in mind that blows off everything ... super sweet full lifelike mids and deep bass
but getting it to track at the top was beyond me...although i been told something that may sort that..

i had the pleasure of hearing an old tannoy variable reluctance mono a few weeks ago the chap who's it was very into old cartridges...

i asked what the stereo equiv of the tanny was... sonotone 9 something ceramic... he then gave me one...

now the embarassing bit, when he gave me it, i reconised it as a cart i'd thrown away a few weeks before....

he then said something that seems to make sense..
n old guy told him years ago that high compliance dont do the mids very well,...as in you need a bit of stiffness... thinking about what i've tried in the last few years.. well thats my experence to date... just had not realised it

like many of you i have a big box of carts.. i went through them all looking for the lower compliance carts,

i've sorted out a few to try when i get chance, decca blue/shure m44e/ goldring g800/ and a few ceramics... decca deram, the sonotone and a few others,
i need to make a extra stage for the ceramics as they give 10th to 1/4 volt and need no phono stage .

i#ll report back in a few weeks...
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

steve s wrote:he then said something that seems to make sense..
n old guy told him years ago that high compliance dont do the mids very well,...as in you need a bit of stiffness... thinking about what i've tried in the last few years.. well thats my experence to date... just had not realised it

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

The Sonotone 9TAHC was my first ever cartridge. Standard fitment in the cheapest Garrard decks.
I wondered how they would sound nearly 40 years on, with better partnering equipment.
Much to learn there is.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

9TAHC on an SP25mk4 - I thought I had 'the answer'!

I got on to V15mk3 as you do.

A few years ago I bought and sold the V15vmxrkwlowtrewhatever - silly name. I liked it but thought that no MM cartridge could possibly outsmart Denon 103. coudl be wrong of course ;-)
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I got an SP25 .. Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
bob orbell
User

Post by bob orbell »

Moving coil for me chap's, went through a hell of a lot of MM in the early seventies, far to many to list, got into ortofon MC20 in 1976, I think! then moved on to other makes of MC, returnuned to ortofon with a contrapunct (sorry if the spelling is shit) :? broke to the ruby cantalever 18 months ago, (shit) so looked at MM again, tryed the ortofon 2M black, very good but ended up with an ortofon cadenza blue, expensive but wow what a cartridge, I hope not to ball's this one up :roll: as for the V15, yes had one of those for two years on a sony PSX 65 dd, not harsh at all, just very lively, although I don't think modern kit would do it justice. BOB
BOB
Richard
User

Post by Richard »

Only V15 I had was a MkIII in the early 80's, came with an LP12 and SME I bought secondhand. I'd been through the usual run of G800, M75ED M95ED VMS20E Grado?? etc and was on an MC20 with MCA76 headamp by then like Bob. The V15 was fabled though so I did try it but it wasn't good for me. Thin with little body, maybe my system, but I sold it on.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

it was the m3d that got me respecting what the old carts are capable of

they may not be as flat or go much highet than 15khz, but the sound of the m3d was a real suprise to me,
my new new spu, has the same type of sound, full bodied and musical, more detailed, faster and sharper,
one would expect that comparing the stylus and cantilever.

it's that type of sound that sounds right to me

i quite enjoy the trying out of old kit, some of it fares well

as i recall the m3d did not sound out of place colins system a couple of years ago, i thought it made those 63's sing.

the tannoy mono cart did the same when i heard it a couple of weeks ago, although the partnering kit was not up to colins

i will get a ceramic phono stage put together..
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Talking of V-15 cartridges.

I have a VST-V body that Adrian gave me. A new Jico stylus is about £100, is it worth having a go ?

Has anyone got an old M3d to dispose of ? :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

pre65 wrote:Talking of V-15 cartridges.

I have a VST-V body that Adrian gave me. A new Jico stylus is about £100, is it worth having a go ?

Has anyone got an old M3d to dispose of ? :)
i' keeping mine phil, on ebay they fetch up to £50 +
thats without the old shure stylus, the failing is you need a very heavy arm,
it worked best for me on my fr with a 20 gram bolt blue tacked on the top

it sounded just as good on the lenco L70 arm too.

getting the top end to track is not easy,
i managed it with one good stylus, then promply bent it,
i didn't manage it with the rest i have/tried another 25 or so, but i've been told a little stylus tweeking may just work.. it involves pliers..

i'm happy using the spu at the moment,