Latest squeeze

Anything to do with the things that make the music we listen to.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Ah, but the bin might be the flight case ;)
Chris :happy3:
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

I whipped the neck off the bass today, and used an old business card to make a shim to adjust the neck/body angle slightly - it's amazing the effect such a thin piece of card can have in improving the playability of an instrument.

Then a quick tweak of the truss rod with an allen key, et voila, a much nicer to play bass.

I also dropped the front pickup a bit, as I was finding that the strings were too easy to push into contact with the pickup pole pieces, causing an unpleasant "thunk" noise.

All in all it's been quite a fruitful process 8)
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

JB got a new bridge ...

It's a big improvement on the stock bridge.
The new bridge has improved the clarity, tone, punch, harmonics and sustain on the JB no end - well worth the outlay and mucking about factor.
And it does it all without chucking a heavy great lump of metal bits on the instrument, as the bridge is around the same weight as the original.
The gains have got to be down to the improved transmission of string vibration into the guitar body.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ahhhhh! So thats what JB meant when he said "woaaahhhh....take it to da bridge!" :-) Nice looking bit o' kit there Chris.

Bet its lighter than its old school equiv. There weren't a lot of options around 25 + yrs ago but this reckoned to be the best at the time so I've stuck with it.

And before you say it (Phil!), Yes, I really do have a Badass.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Ah found it!, well maybe...

where did you get the bridge Chris?

I've had a problem with my Fender for a little while, one of the bridge saddles tends to wobble side to side. I was discussing with the bass a couple of months back and he suggested a badass but didn't get round to sorting it. I have to confess I don't play out much at the mo so it doesn't get the use it should, hence I've been a bit tardy fixing it.

yours looks like it might solve the problem. Does the front screw stop the saddle moving?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

ed
retired

Post by ed »

ahh

I was hoping you'd found somewhere cheaper than this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/babicz_bass_br ... tAod90UA7A

I'm sure it's good value for money, I'm just an enormous skinflint at the moment.....
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

ed wrote:ahh

I was hoping you'd found somewhere cheaper than this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/babicz_bass_br ... tAod90UA7A

I'm sure it's good value for money, I'm just an enormous skinflint at the moment.....
To be honest I think it's worth paying the £20 price difference, and at the moment there is one big thing to be said in favour of The Bass Centre, and that's that they have the bridges in stock.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

The Stratmangler wrote:
To be honest I think it's worth paying the £20 price difference, and at the moment there is one big thing to be said in favour of The Bass Centre, and that's that they have the bridges in stock.
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning there...surely it's exactly the same product, just £20 cheaper at Thomann????
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

FWIW Thomann have nickel ones in stock, which I personally like
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

ed wrote:
The Stratmangler wrote:
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning there...surely it's exactly the same product, just £20 cheaper at Thomann????
They haven't got them in stock at the moment.
This item has unfortunately sold out Babicz Bass Bridge Chrom (expected deilvery date: 21.12.2012 ).
Other customers who were interested thomann in this item bought the following similar products
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well, lust got the better of me. The combination of it being my birthday last week (and a prime birthday at that), and spotting this 9 year old specimen on line in a shop up the road (Manchester), I now am looking after one of these :-)

best learn to play it now.

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Cor!
That's lovely!!

Now where's that drool emoticon when you need it?
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Oh poo!

you really are showing off now Gorham!

It might be mine, give it back...if you look closely inside at the label it might still have my initials in it.

sassenfrassencursenfrassenclaudehopper......

:)

edit: You've just reminded me..I had a 63 rivoli for some time which I sold in 1972ish for the princely sum of £70 to a shop in Stevenage......If I recall it was made on the same body as yours.....It was a pig to play(i've never liked short scale basses) but I bet it would be worth a mint now.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

you really are showing off now Gorham!
There has to be some reason for staying up till 1 every night building power supplies.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.