Streaming advice needed.

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Nick
Site Admin

#46 Re: Streaming advice needed.

Post by Nick »

Remember though that in effect VB is just a Linux distribution, I think you can probably get all the same functionality with any distribution. A cheap Ebuyer PC running Debian makes a perfectly good LMS server and/or NAS.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#47 Re: Streaming advice needed.

Post by simon »

I once had LMS running on a RPi. Sluggish but it worked. I had it running on a nettop too which was quicker.

Now I have LMS running on the NAS, which is just another Linux box of sorts. But unless there's a benefit I don't really want the energy overhead of running a PC 24/7 as well as the NAS.
Nick
Site Admin

#48 Re: Streaming advice needed.

Post by Nick »

simon wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:27 pm I once had LMS running on a RPi. Sluggish but it worked. I had it running on a nettop too which was quicker.

Now I have LMS running on the NAS, which is just another Linux box of sorts. But unless there's a benefit I don't really want the energy overhead of running a PC 24/7 as well as the NAS.
Fine, I was just pointing out that making a cheap linux box into a nas was one solution.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#49 Re: Streaming advice needed.

Post by Dave the bass »

jack wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:53 pm
I too use max2play at the moment, but I'm unconvinced at the level of development activity on Vortexbox which is my server...

The VB web site was lost along with its forums and never really recovered, activity seems very very low and beholden to very few people... there's no critical mass...
Agreed, I run VB2.3 and theres only been one update in the past 18 months AFAIK. I don't know why , the VB site was lost? I didn't know there were problems, erks!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#50 Re: Streaming advice needed.

Post by Ray P »

I perceive that LMS is falling behind the curve compared with the functionality and/or audio quality of packages like Roon/HQPlayer/JPlay - I don't recall my music through the Touch that I owned sounding anywhere as good as it does now. It would be interesting to see if this is reality or just me convincing myself.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#51 Re: Streaming advice needed.

Post by Ali Tait »

No, I don't think you are imagining it. Things move quickly in the digital audio world as I'm sure you are aware. For myself, moving to the Mytek dac was a big improvement. Moving from Jriver to Roon/Tidal was an equal if not more of an improvement again.

Can't help thinking how the Mytek would sound with a nice valve output stage on it. :D
ed
retired

#52 Re: Streaming advice needed.

Post by ed »

Ray P wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:49 pm I perceive that LMS is falling behind the curve compared with the functionality and/or audio quality of packages like Roon/HQPlayer/JPlay -
struggling with this one Ray, how is the audio quality compromised by the server..am I missing something or are you referring to the quality of the players that will continue to talk to the server?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ant
Shed dweller

#53 Re: Streaming advice needed.

Post by Ant »

This is why I just use the mac mini and iTunes into a dac. Just leave the mac switched on and play stuff. I dont understand how it all works. The old system used an sb3 and my laptop running lms, the laptop still had to be on for the sb to work and I had to run a wired connection to the router from both the laptop and sb to stop it dropping out. It still buffered when someone went on the phone or tablet. It was a pain in the arse.
I know that it's the future, and the sb system was pretty agricultural compared to whats out there now, but to me it all seems like it can still be a complete pain in the arse.

Presumably you still need a pc of some sort to run the server software, a storage device the server software can access for the music, and a user device to control it.

Isnt that what the mac and iTunes do?

Or is all the above oversimplification?

It genuinely puzzles me, probably because I havent a clue how it all works
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#54 Re: Streaming advice needed.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Me too. I worry only a little with my vortexbox and squeeze box but it 'just works'. No monthly subscription and I know where all my music is. It plays complicated operas and classical pieces seemlessly as well as the pop music stuff.

External fav downstairs sure but how inferior is this sound system...really? I don't worry about it.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#55 Re: Streaming advice needed.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oops... external dac downstairs...on the devialet system.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#56 Re: Streaming advice needed.

Post by Ray P »

ed wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:38 pm struggling with this one Ray, how is the audio quality compromised by the server..am I missing something or are you referring to the quality of the players that will continue to talk to the server?
Perhaps I oversimplified with my comment, I meant the overall 'Logitech' solution seems to be falling behind...
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
andrew Ivimey

#57 Re: Streaming advice needed.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Me too...i'm falling behind!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#58 Re: Streaming advice needed.

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:36 am Me too...i'm falling behind!
I must be as well then. :shock:

My SB Touch and external DAC sound very good to me, so if the "modern" alternatives are so much better I really need to start thinking about upgrading.

It would, of course, help if I understood more about these "modern" ways. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

#59 Re: Streaming advice needed.

Post by Neal »

Can't see how LMS is falling behind, it's still being developed, there's a great community behind it. Latest beta was released a few days ago. Max2play incorporates picoreplayer and gives you way more options for tweaking the o/p than the old Touch ever did. I feed the oversampled Pi output into a TDA1541a DAC and its sounds just great but each to his own I guess.....
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Tuono
User

#60 Re: Streaming advice needed.

Post by Tuono »

It's all "digital alchemy" :shock: and if you have a perfectly good sound and your method of reproduction works well for you then there is probably no need to look for anything else as long as you are happy.

But' (there always has to be a but) If in "my" case you want to install a new PC operating system then i am interested in what that will bring itself audibly and then what i can do to improve on that using whichever of the afore mentioned programs in the thread.

The aim for me being the best sound and ease of use set up i can get via software being as i have the hardware already it is fine tuning of the system if you will' and the learning experience and the knowledge gained' and it beats the hell out watching TV.