Possible Raspberry Pi network audio solutions

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

The Stratmangler wrote:From what I read the JRiver thing needs you to run Volumio on the Pi.
Then JRiver just sees the Pi as a DLNA rendererer.
Doesn't have to be Volumio, you could run other mpd solutions if you prefer and you just need to provide a UPNP/DLNA interface on top. I use upmpdcli as it controls mpd without touching the data. Upmpdcli works really well on my Beaglebone/Botic renderer.

Ray
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Going off on a tangent...these RPi are great! I'm not a Linux guru by any stretch of the imagination but I've just managed to setup zoneminder on an RPi to provide motion detection recording for a pair of security cameras at the club where I play Squash. Took a lot of reading and learning and a fair bit of command line stuff but knock me down with a feather it works!

Used Raspian distro which comes with a compatible desktop GUI as the idea will be to add a 3.5" screen for local control to augment the web based control. Storage is to a 16GB mem stick at the moment which is filling up fast so I'll add a USB 1TB drive....flipping marvellous! :D
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Good stuff Neal. I've thought about doing something similar but it's too techy for me unfortunately.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

I know what you mean Simon, it's the amount of seemingly contradictory advise posted on the net you have to wade through and there always seems to be 3 or 4 ways to do the same flippin' thing! :D I almost gave up but perseverance won through in the end, thank fully!
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Neal wrote:I know what you mean Simon, it's the amount of seemingly contradictory advise posted on the net you have to wade through and there always seems to be 3 or 4 ways to do the same flippin' thing! :D I almost gave up but perseverance won through in the end, thank fully!
Its the open source way. two or so people/groups decide to each solve a problem their own way, or someone thinks there is a better way of doing it, then eventually the different solutions each find an audience and continues, or is unused and drifts into the background.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Yeah I got that Nick, thanks, it just doesn't make it easy for somebody wanting to learn more....one consolation is that I know when it's setup it will keep running and running and running...unlike some other OS I can think off. :D
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

This looks like a neat little power supply for RPi type devices;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-low-noi ... 1c5207b9ec

I've bought a couple of regulated supplies from this chap via DIY Audio and they're very good quality.

Ray
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

I purchased a nice 20w supply from CPC the other day, I've not checked the noise on the output but for £14 I can't complain.

Regarding the RPi I've had some success setting up re-sampling in max2play. It allows parameters to be input into squeezelite to change the rate and mess about with filters, slopes and phase etc. I'm quite surprised how much difference there is between settings, changes in some cases are easily identifiable and much larger than you would get 'upgrading' the DAC ;) ...only trouble is there are so many combinations its tricky not to get lost! I think I have settled on a couple of combinations that sound good to me but there are still a few more to try...
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote:This looks like a neat little power supply for RPi type devices;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-low-noi ... 1c5207b9ec

I've bought a couple of regulated supplies from this chap via DIY Audio and they're very good quality.
Something worth bearing in mind is that Texas (and other chip manufacturers) sell evaluation modules as loss-leaders to promote their technology.

A case in point are the MSP430 "Launchpad"s which are just amazing value-for-money... e.g. the http://www.ti.com/tool/MSP-EXP430G2?key ... Everything at $9.99 and the amazing http://www.ti.com/tool/msp-exp430fr5969 at $15.99... the FRAM chips are simply astonishing.

Similarly, the TPS7A8300 (like many other Texas LDOs) has an evaluation module, the TPS7A8300EVM-209 - you can buy this direct from Farnell for 15quid (+VAT&P&P) and add your own transformer/whatever: http://uk.farnell.com/texas-instruments ... dp/2379678.

If you create a Texas account (free) you can order direct from the USA at $20 (http://www.ti.com/tool/tps7a8300evm-209) and they'll ship to the UK FoC - that's the way I get all the Launchpads I use... If you don't create the account, they'll charge you $7 P&P (still cheap considering its FEDEX).
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote:Something worth bearing in mind is that Texas (and other chip manufacturers) sell evaluation modules as loss-leaders to promote their technology.
Yes I know, but personally I'm happy to sometimes put a few pounds into the pockets of fellow audio DIYers...

Ray
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#131 Re: Possible Raspberry Pi network audio solutions

Post by Dave the bass »

I finally boxed up and finished the Conservatory Pi and Amp project. It gets used everyday, love it's littleness and soundness.

Awwwww!

Aaahhh yeah but no but, ya dimwit DTB... supposing you've taken the nicely boxed Pi AMp on hols and you need to connect it to the hosts router to change the WiFi setting in Picoreplayer to enable streaming of FLACs you've got stashed on your Laptop which is acting as the server eh eh eh?

No prob's, here's the easy-access Ethernet slidey hatch!

Whahey!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#132 Re: Possible Raspberry Pi network audio solutions

Post by Ali Tait »

Someone's nicked your volume pot knob Dave.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#133 Re: Possible Raspberry Pi network audio solutions

Post by Dave the bass »

OOOoooo young man! Thank you for your concern over my missing knob! -> Kenny Williams jpeg :)

S'all done with software thesedays innits, well it is out in our Conservatory! A cute little Logitech Controller is used for library browsing and selection + Volume upppendownum duties or the LMS web interface page if we're both on Laplop's out there (or too lazy to reach for the Controller more often than not...)!
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#134 Re: Possible Raspberry Pi network audio solutions

Post by Ali Tait »

:D . Looking good Mr Bass.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#135 Re: Possible Raspberry Pi network audio solutions

Post by Dave the bass »

Ali Tait wrote::D . Looking good Mr Bass.
So are you gorgeous, fancy a snog? :)