well kept secret out

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Thanks for the link Phil, I'll try some of the OS tweaks mentioned on the site to lighten XP a bit....

Ed, tried looking for an expansion kit but failed....its working OK at the moment and I don't want to spend any more! :D
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

All done and running, amazing how much faster you can make XP with a little tweaking...OK I'm only running SqueezeCentre but adding a RAMDisk and putting a small swap disk on it along with the system variables speeds it up no end...power consumption is a lot lower than the Fujitsu Siemens tower I was using before just got to sort out the backup now...
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

So Neal, does one need a monitor to see what's going on ? (with regard to track selection)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Hi Phil, no...track selection is either made directly from the Squeezebox or from the Logitech app for iPhone/iPad...or you can use the paid for iPeng app....or use a web browser on another PC and point it at the SqueezeCentre IP address...

Hope that make sense!

Getting music on is either via download or ripped from a CD using a USB CD player or ripped from another PC over the network directly to the server...
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Ah, so one needs a Squeezebox as well ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

For my setup yes as this PC is in the Garage! So I stream from it to the SB attached to my HiFi over wired Ethernet.

The other way to do it is to use a PC close to the HiFi and play your music directly from it using either a USB DAC or SPDIF if the PC has it...a laptop is better in this instance or a cheap Netbook....

If you wanted to use the HP T5700 in this way you would need a USB DAC...you could control it by installing UltraVNC and VNC into it from another 'puter or iPad but I think a netbook with integrated screen/keyboard/mouse would be better...
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Power consumption looks good, with my previous setup consumption was 220W+ whilst streaming...the little HP unit together with display, router and drives draws 42W! ...and 36W at idle. 15W is from the router alone which I use for wired and wireless access...result!
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Neal wrote:Power consumption looks good, with my previous setup consumption was 220W+ whilst streaming...the little HP unit together with display, router and drives draws 42W! ...and 36W at idle. 15W is from the router alone which I use for wired and wireless access...result!
Oh I know what it's like for you. Same for me. As soon as we got those panels on the roof and generating, we became oh so consumption concious :wink:
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

Just bought a HP t5540 off Ebay. the operating system is windows CE. What method is the best way to change the operating system. Swapping the flash memory for a hard drive appears the easiest for me then installing windows xp. I have no experience of Linux is that easy to use and install?. A simple explanation is probably the best.
the second Picture is with the coever off showing the hidden 2usb ports. the first is inside. would this be suitable to convert into a music server.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Looks OK from the spec sheet, uproc is x86 based but I've no idea how it performs...could do with more RAM seems to be able to support 2Gb.

Disk drive is a good idea if you have one to hand or you could go microdrive / compact flash although the microdrives are limited in capacity and not that fast.

support page is here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... nvOID=4003

I'd get the latest BIOS on there and try it...
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Greg wrote:
Neal wrote:Power consumption looks good, with my previous setup consumption was 220W+ whilst streaming...the little HP unit together with display, router and drives draws 42W! ...and 36W at idle. 15W is from the router alone which I use for wired and wireless access...result!
Oh I know what it's like for you. Same for me. As soon as we got those panels on the roof and generating, we became oh so consumption concious :wink:
Yep! Whole family are eco warriors now :D Its been very sunny recently ;)
ed
retired

Post by ed »

I've just been pondering and done a recap on this...

It would have been interesting to watch the ebay prices on these things over the last 2 months...the graph would likely look like 45 degrees rising left to right....

If anybody is still tempted then the max price has got to be about £55 because for that you can still buy a last gen atom board and and a micro itx fanless case........ok a bit more for some memory and a PS, but you'll likely have to buy memory for the thin client anyway......

they were good value at £15 though!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

bostod
User

Post by bostod »

i have just removed a sata hard dirve from an old atom netbook that doesn't work. Does anyone know if there is an adaptor for sale to make it slot into the 44pin ide flash memory slot ?
Last edited by bostod on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

bostod wrote:i have just removed a sata hard dirve from an old atom netbook that doesn't work. Does anyone know if there is an adaptor for sale to make it slot into the flash memory slot ?
any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-Hard-Driv ... 866wt_1041

You'll need a cable as well...