importing files

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
cressy
Shed dweller

#1 importing files

Post by cressy »

question from the back of the class, im sat here with a glass of wine importing cd's into itunes for use with the apple tv, and wondered what is the best encoding to use. i have a choice of wav (this is the one ive been using), aiff, apple lossless, aac and mp3. i shant be bothered with mp3 but wondered wether wav was the best choice.

itunes doesnt appear to support flac which is what i see lots using but wondered wether this is really a problem. i know nothing as manuel so eloquently put it when it comes to computer audio. cheers guys
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

IIRC you have to use iTunes to stream to ATV, so I'd suggest that ALAC might be the best format to encode to.
ALAC supports proper tagging.
WAV does not.
AIFF, which is Apple's version of WAV probably has tag issues too.

I noticed that you mentioned "importing files".
Do you mean importing files, or ripping them from CD?
You can't repair a dodgy file by converting from one format to another.
Chris :happy3:
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

just ripping off cd, tbh i have no idea what tagging is :roll: or atv for that matter :lol:
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

ahaaaaa atv= apple tv these computer people and their clever acronyms.......... in my day ect ect ect. hang on surely im not old enough to make that comment stick..............
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

cressy wrote:just ripping off cd, tbh i have no idea what tagging is :roll: or atv for that matter :lol:
Tagging is just track information - things like Artist/Album/Track Number & Title etc.
You're correct, ATV = Apple TV
Chris :happy3:
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

found some 5m optical cables on ebay today so ordered a pair, im supposing that using a long optical cable from the apple tv to the dac and then some short interconnects of good quality from the dac to the amp should give me better sound than the short optical and long crappy interconnects i scrounged up to get it running. and 3.29 each for the cables is bugger all.

i ordered a pair as i discovered an optical output on the back of the ps3 when rewiring all the stuff connected to the tv. further investigation into the settings on the machine and another surprise, it had picked up logitech media server that was installed on the laptop for the failed squeezebox, and could see all the songs on itunes.......
all i wanted to know was what came out of the optical output and that turns out to be either cd or 48khz. so it looks like it can be used as a wireless music server too.
i shall however at this point just be outputting audio from games and killing aliens, driving fast cars and swinging from ledges in glorious stereo..........

oh and it will import cds via the bluray drive onto its own internal hard drive. i wonder what formats it will encode.........