BBC streaming at 96KHz AAC.

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 BBC streaming at 96KHz AAC.

Post by Cressy Snr »

AAC is coming in via the various BBC streams on R2, R3 and R4 according to my Squeezebox Touch.
My Musical Fidelity M1 DAC says it is a 96KHz signal.

Quality seems good. Wonder if it will last or whether they will downgrade it again after the Proms.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
JackOfAll
Old Hand

Post by JackOfAll »

deleted
Last edited by JackOfAll on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

How are you accessing the radio streams, Steve ?
Chris :happy3:
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

The Stratmangler wrote:How are you accessing the radio streams, Steve ?
Just via the internet radio option on the SB touch not via MySqueezebox.com.

The radio stream comes on and up comes the 96KHz light on the DAC.
So there is or the DAC thinks there is a 96KHz stream coming from the SBT.

The info screen for the stream only gives the filetype as AAC, there is no other information available.
JackOfAll
Old Hand

Post by JackOfAll »

deleted
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

JackOfAll wrote:Steve,

Just for grins, go into the local SBS server settings and disable native AAC decoding, so instead of direct streaming (and decoding on the Touch), faad is used on the server to decode the stream. Does the 96k LED still light up on the DAC?

EDIT: Server Settings->Advanced->File Types and set AAC->AAC to be disabled.
Did that and the 96KHz light still comes on.
Other streams (WMA etc) from stations other than the BBC show 44.1KHz light.
The BBC streams do sound better than they did a few weeks ago, so something's going on but as far as the 96KHz light being triggered.......

I suspect a bug in 7.6.1 and in its associated firmware :wink:
JackOfAll
Old Hand

Post by JackOfAll »

deleted
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Its not like in the days of 1980's Pirate Radio is it where we (ermm...I mean they...) transmitted a 19Khz tone to light the 'Stereo' lamp on folks radios to think the station was actually TX-ing in Stereo when we weren't?

Radio Fungus The Bogeyman. 104.1MHZ R.I.P :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Dave the bass wrote:Its not like in the days of 1980's Pirate Radio is it where we (ermm...I mean they...) transmitted a 19Khz tone to light the 'Stereo' lamp on folks radios to think the station was actually TX-ing in Stereo when we weren't?

Radio Fungus The Bogeyman. 104.1MHZ R.I.P :-)

DTB
104.1? That's Radio Sheffield's frequency here in Donny - no wonder the reception is dodgy!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

simon wrote: 104.1? That's Radio Sheffield's frequency here in Donny - no wonder the reception is dodgy!
We (...erm...I mean they...) last transmitted in approx 1986, I'd be surprised if we got as far as Donny frpm NW Kent on about 1W of FM through a 1/2 wave dipole aerial :lol:

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

JackOfAll wrote:96k sample rate from a 320kbps stream. Now that's what I call compression! ;) Can't be right.
Back of the hand numbers would indicate that anything more than a 4:1 compression ratio would need bore than 44k1. Or have I got it wrong?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

JackOfAll wrote:I'm going to ask a stupid question. Did you hit the "Apply" button after disabling AAC->AAC and restart the stream?

Here why I'm asking. I don't have access to native hardware to fiddle with this right now, but I know for sure that when faad is being used on the server to decode the BBC3 HD 320kbps stream and it is being converted to flac......

AudioFormat[encoding=FLAC, sampleRate=44100.0, sampleSizeInBits=16, channels=2, frameSize=4, frameRate=44100.0, bigEndian=false]

So I'd find it difficult to believe that 96khz is being streamed from the server to your Touch.
Yep
I hit the apply button when disabling AAC.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Dave the bass wrote:
simon wrote: 104.1? That's Radio Sheffield's frequency here in Donny - no wonder the reception is dodgy!
We (...erm...I mean they...) last transmitted in approx 1986, I'd be surprised if we got as far as Donny frpm NW Kent on about 1W of FM through a 1/2 wave dipole aerial :lol:

DTB
Don't let that get in the way of a good honest slag-off of Radio Sheffield! Because they're besotted with United and Wednesday (even though they're in a lower division than us and Barnsley) they get the FM frequency and we get AM if we're lucky enough to be featured. AM in Donny is rubbish, might as well listen to some French channel. In fact most of the time trying to listen to Radio Sheff on AM IS listening to French radio.

Now to bring this back on topic(ish), before someone suggests listening on line you can't - footie commentaries aren't broadcast on line because of copyright, only off air. Bloody SKY mutter, mutter, Murdoch mutter, mutter, overseas chicken farmers mutter mutter, Premier League bollocks mutter mutter....
JackOfAll
Old Hand

Post by JackOfAll »

deleted
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

I suppose there's always the possibility that somebody has left a line of code in 7.6.1 telling SBS to upsample AAC streams.......

Seeing that there was all the fallout over 7.6.0 , and the need to sort things pronto, it's not beyond the realms of possibility ;)
Chris :happy3: