Replacing an i-Pod battery

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

#1 Replacing an i-Pod battery

Post by floppybootstomp »

My i-Pod battery died on me a few days ago so I decided to replace the battery myself.

Apple discourage i-Pod battery replacement and insist that their machines only be opened by qualified personel at one of their service centres or high street stores.

Indeed, Apple will tell you that an i-Pod cannot be opened by a member of the public and if you look at a device there doesn't seem to be any way of opening the thing up.

However, all that's needed is a little know-how and a little help.

There's a UK company called i-Pod Doctor who supply replacement batteries for all i-Pods and their replacement batteries come with the tools required to change a battery.

The i-Pod of mine whose battery died was purchased in March 2006 and is a fifth generation 30Gb black video model with a colour screen and the capability to show video and photos as well as play music and some games.

The guide at the i-Pod Doctor site makes it easy to identify your model.

The replacement battery and tools for my model cost £10.00 plus £3 postage = £13.00 inc VAT.

They arrived the day after ordering.

Interestingly the battery for the 60Gb version of my i-Pod had to supply more current than the one for the 30Gb model and cost another £3.00.

My original i-Pod battery, fully charged, was only playing 10 minutes worth of music before dying so I knew I needed a replacement. I have read elsewhere the original i-Pod batteries were low quality with a short life span. As I hadn't used my i-Pod much on battery power, mostly using a dock at home, this would appear to be true.

i-Pod Doctor say their batteries give a longer playing time and last longer than the batteries Apple supply with their machines.

And so to the replacement.

These are the tools supplied with the battery. That's the old battery removed in the picture:

By far the hardest part of this operation is separating the two halves of the machine. The i-Pod front clips to the back and it's a very tight fit.

i-Pod Doctor supply a guide for battery replacement for every i-Pod model, here's a link to the one I've just done: manual

The idea is to flex the i-Pod until a gap presents itself then insert the supplied tool and run it up and down the side, thus freeing the clips that hold the front and back together. It really would help to have two people doing this, one flexing the i-Pod the other inserting the separation tool.

In the end I opened up a tiny gap and used the screwdriver supplied to keep the gap open then used the separation tool to part the two halves, here's a pic showing the back loosened off:

Then you loosen off the clamp that holds the battery cable in the socket and fold the back over which exposes the battery at the top of the machine:

Battery out (new battery shown in pic):

Old battery shown with tools:

The battery is held in place with a couple of sticky pads, the cable is pushed into the socket and the clamp pushed home to secure it. Then the back of the i-Pod is simply pushed back into place.

The battery took about 90 minutes to charge in a dock and I then went shopping by bus for 2 and a half hours with the i-Pod feeding my ears a mixture of Pearl Jam, Ozric Tentacles and The Only Ones.

Apart from some slight difficulty prising the two halves of the i-Pod apart, it really is a piece of cake but the guideline here is: be careful. Not exactly kid gloves required but there's some delicate parts exposed here so it pays to just take your time, take a good look and think about what you're doing.

The new battery was a flat level brick shape but the battery I took out, the original one, was swollen and rounded on most sides which, in batteries, indicates failure.

Here's a link to i-Pod Doctor: i-Pod Doctor

If anybody knows of any other suppliers of i-Pod batteries and tools similar to i-Pod Doctor and can recommend them, it may be an idea to list them below.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

well done floppy boot stop for achieving something first time I~ failed to do on 3 attempts.

I am the killer of ipod touches.

In the end I listed the entire batch of 3 faulty ipod touches on ebay.

Next time I will buy a new one and sell the old one for spares repair it will save me a fortune and I will have a nice new one.

But I do take your point that for some people these small tightly packed delicate objects are worth a look inside.

Mine went the same way as all my dad's watches I practiced on as a child.

ps can't you use a shorter name or don't you have a real name that is simpler? Or if your dad named you Sue and you are embarrassed to use your real name why not make one up?
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Paul Barker wrote:ps can't you use a shorter name or don't you have a real name that is simpler? Or if your dad named you Sue and you are embarrassed to use your real name why not make one up?
I was christened Stuart but I now go by the nom-de-plume Sarah and I'm queued for the operation in June this year. I take a size twelve in frocks.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

thanks, nicer to know what to call people.

There are quite a few people wearing frocks these days in the valve fraternity who were born with a lump of grissle to pea out of like me.

I remember well at vsac a prop forward wearing a frock bright lipppy and earrings (this was before Steve Bench came out it wasnt him.

Anyway this person on the show and tell session at the end played the mosta amaising commercial 845 amp i have ever heard I think it was only about 5k and sounded really great. I would have been proud as punch if i could have even made anything which was commercially acceptable that sounded that good for so little money.

I can't remember the company name. It seemed to consist of a man wearing trousers and this frock wearing prop forward.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Paul Barker wrote: There are quite a few people wearing frocks these days in the valve fraternity who were born with a lump of grissle to pea out of like me.
way, way, way too much information...

btw...good to hear from you, I thought you'd been vapourised.

We've missed you
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Well what happened was I got disheartened and the junk piled up around me until it smothered me so I downed tools and walked away from this element of my nature.

But I've had a bit of a tidy up and found a few old bits of projects so maybe I will make something again. Not promising anything!

Ed you would be proud of me though. Nick is building me a Nelson Pass 5. It all came about because I was saying my Cerwin Vega D9's were pretty sorted now. I bought a foam kit for the 15" drivers and it was dead easy to glue on and there is no scraping. The cerwin Vega compression horn tweeters are nice but the sound has been brought nearer to what we aim for by adding some small vintage alnico paper tweeters and using the Cerwin Vega tweeter as a super tweeter only.

BUT the bass though good is floppy. So I thought SE valve amp just won't control them.

So Nick says a NP5 would.

So I was hooked line and sinker.

All the talk about valves this time round is academic or spiritual only. Actually doing something is a little way away. And it probably won't be portable so you would have to come here to hear it. Are you still in Hull?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well its no Krell (not a bad thing IMHO), but it has the highest DF of any of the First Watt amps, so it should take control of the cones.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I'm not sure thsi isn't happening to me... 'I got disheartened and the junk piled up around me until it smothered me...' - not sure what the answer is but the junk is certainly building up.

Oh, I know... get rid of the junk ... or maybe just sort it out, chuck a little and do something else for a while and see what happens.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

I was feeling mischeivous earlier.

This floppybootstomp name thing, seemed like a good idea at the time but I really wish I hadn't chosen it now.

I joined my first forum 12 years ago when I needed help putting a computer together, I hadn't encountered a motherboard with dedicated RAID ports before and got stuck.

Found an enthusiast's forum based in Texas and joined and had my board up and running in ten minutes.

Didn't know what to call myself and noticed most everybody had an alias so I thought about it.

I like Captain Beefheart and floppybootstomp had two computer references in it so I thought that would be dead clever. So that's what I've been online for a dozen years.

With online gaming and Steam I'm Slippery_Sid, sometimes I wonder about...things.

And my real name is Tony Sullivan, as far as I know I'm hetero and I'm not planning to donate my tackle to any medical museum in the near future. Oh, and I favour Levis, sweatshirts and Dr martens, definitely not Laura Ashley designs.

Pleased to meet you :)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Tony, do you mean "steam" as in steam locomotives ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

highest DF - you mean it can suck the sound back out of the loudspeakers!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Paul Barker wrote:
BUT the bass though good is floppy. So I thought SE valve amp just won't control them.

So I was hooked line and sinker.

All the talk about valves this time round is academic or spiritual only. Actually doing something is a little way away. And it probably won't be portable so you would have to come here to hear it. Are you still in Hull?
Yep, still in Hull...just ring if you're in town and I'll put the coffee on....

I'd love to listen to the F5 when you get it connected.....I never did get round to one......didn't finish the F2 with semisouth JFets either.

I've got the most sublime 2A3 and SV572s and I just can't seem to get the necessary energy to try and better them at the mo.

c'est la vie.....summers coming, more energy when the batteries are charged.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

pre65 wrote:Tony, do you mean "steam" as in steam locomotives ?
Steam

I can remember steam locomotives though.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

ed wrote:
I've got the most sublime 2A3 ...
Agreed, it is a verrrrrrry verrry nice amp that 'un Ed.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

floppybootstomp wrote:
Steam
Computer games? Like what kids play with?

Pffffftttttttt! :lol:

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"