SB3 PSU/display RFI issues

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Lee S
Old Hand

#1 SB3 PSU/display RFI issues

Post by Lee S »

Has anyone else noticed any grunge/hiss/noise on FM/AM when a SB3 (or any with the VFD) is on (standby or fully powered) in the vicinity? I was thinking it was maybe the PSU, but the more I think about it, it could be the display. Are these types of displays inherently noisy and is there any way of quietening them down (bar removing them of course)?

The minute I remove the supply, my tuner is nice and quiet again and if I turn the SB3 on again and move it around under the tuner, it causes changes in amplitude of the RFI once again. Is it the Wi-Fi, display or what?

Any ideas or experience of this?
©2020 Lee
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Anything that's got high-speed digital in it will transmit if it's not well screened and it's a pain in the arse. My desktop computers are worst, despite being enclosed in steel cases! though interestingly the notebooks are very good, haven't detected a squeak out of either of them and they're LCD displays as well. My router though does it and can be picked up on AM (weak stations) even though the aerial wire is in the loft! :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Appendix ~ I assume you're talking about a SMPS, same problem.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

If I remember correctly the SB3 has a plasma display, not a LCD, so it will be producing some hash. As will the processor and WiFi modules.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Vacuum flourescent display
©2020 Lee
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Lee S wrote:Vacuum flourescent display
Very fitting, the principle of operation is identical to that of a vacuum tube triode. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

I think some folks do get some problems,I'm sure I've read something about it on slimforums before.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

I know my SB1 and SB2 affects my modded Beresford DAC, the sound gets harsh and bright....