Digital.

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Lee S
Old Hand

Re: Digital.

Post by Lee S » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:58 pm

BlueSound Node2 with Tidal and Qobuz Hi-res subscriptions.... don't feel the need for anything else

...until, as Ant mentions, I get my TT up and running again... :twisted:
©2018 Lee

Greg
Shed dweller

Post by Greg » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:56 pm

Tidal through life membership Roon. sonicTransporter with ethernet direct into Devialet Expert 250 Pro Core Infinity. Also an RPi with linear PSU using squeezlite to stream Radio Paradise flac as it can’t be done through Roon at present.

shane
Shed dweller

Post by shane » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:09 pm

Was using a Squeezebox SB3 running from a cobbled-together NAS with 400gb hard drive attached, mainly for background and family use but the family isn’t interested, and I found that although 400gb can hold more music than I’m ever going to need, I just ended up listening to the same old things over again. As a result, I recently took a subscription for Tidal and bought a Chromecast Audio. Brilliant, because I can listen to all those albums I nearly bought but didn’t, and I can try all those tracks that come up on “what are you listening to right now” without having to download, rescan and lose the will to live.
Both have always been second fiddle to vinyl though, because both lacked that vital indescribable third dimension that transforms hearing into listening and experiencing, so neither was used for serious listening.
The CCA sounds different from the SB3, being a bit livelier but at the same time a bit harder, sufficiently so for me to take a punt a couple of months ago on a Beresford 7210 for fifty quid off eBay.
That bloke Stan knows his stuff, doesn’t he? This is the least of his creations, but it produces all that organic, tactile quality that’s been missing from the digital experience. Suffice it to say that the TT2 has hardly turned a table since the Standac arrived.
It isn’t all wonderful though. Casting Tidal to the CCA from an iPhone is infuriating. Every time you start playing a new album it reverts back to playing from the phone, and loses the beginning of the first track as you re-select the CCA. Quite often it refuses to cast for no obvious reason, needing the app to be stopped and re-started, and every now and then it’s just plain bizarre. Playing Fairport’s Unhalfbricking today it flatly refused to play A Sailor’s Life, telling me that the track was not permitted for playback in my country. Bizarre.
So I’m now looking for a better, less flaky interface between Tidal and the DAC, be that a better app or a better alternative to the CCA. As ever though, budget is minimal.
Being the world’s only egg-laying mammal, the duck-billed platypus has the distinction of being the only creature capable of making its own custard.

Ali Tait
Social outcast

Post by Ali Tait » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:50 pm

Forgot to say, also a Roon and Tidal user. Haven’t tried Qobuz yet. How do they compare?
Image[/img]

Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:04 pm

Quality of both is excellent. Qobuz has the 24/192 FLAC and Tidal has the MQA system which my BlueSound DAC supports. I tend to use Tidal all the time to be honest, but having both is good (Qobuz was bought for me) as there are a few titles that are not available on one and are on the other and vice versa, but both are excellent. If I had to keep one, it would be Tidal.
©2018 Lee