Dac for an arcam delta 170.3 transport

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Nick
Site Admin

Re: Dac for an arcam delta 170.3 transport

Post by Nick » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:53 pm

I was nowhere close to that. Nearest I got, was sending JPEG frames captured and compressed by a Cyrus chip (I think) and then stored onto a hard disk, and then streamed via ISDN to a remote station for security use. It would capture the frames around alarm activation, call up the monitoring station and dump the alarm images and then follow with live frames. You could send audio ("oy, bugger off". etc) and motor commands back to the remote station from the control centre. Originally it was a hack of a protocol, then we sold to banks, so I had to write a x25 implementation to send over their networks. Then I had to do it all again with a ip stack to allow it to talk via ppp to unix boxes.

It also got sold to ferry companies to take pictures of wagons as they loaded, and the other end if the driver claimed damage, they could call up the matching images and see the before and after.

You could do it all with stuff from PC World now.
Resistance isn't futile it's V / I.

JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:37 pm

Yeah isn't progress wonderful!

I recently had to spec. out an 8K UHD system that part had to work at baseband - 130Gb/s over IP link with a realtime stream- good excuse for some 400Gb/s cards and guess what? Most of them won't work at 400Gb/s yet... even as a burst rate let alone for streaming... They have 16K UHD running in the Dev. labs now and in limited production...

But I like your story - really innovative stuff then too at the time as witnessed by the banks buying it - They always have some neat technology amongst all the legacy stuff...

BTW we still use jpg frames for video compression on high end contribution circuits not just JPG2000 for HD but JPG-XS for UHD - sound principle!

Ray P
Eternally single

Post by Ray P » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:12 am

Ant wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:15 pm
The topping e30 dac arrived... Like it...
Result Ant. :thumbup:

Ant
Old Hand

Post by Ant » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:56 am

Got the soundcard today, it will have to wait abit until i can sample the delta and the sb as ive got a lot of work on this week.
Im wondering how best to do it, ill need a program that can realtime record and create me a wav file. Any suggestions?
Hey, wait, I got a new complaint
Forever in debt to your priceless advice

www.bte-designs.weebly.com

JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:40 pm

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:54 pm

Yep, just record into audacity from both sources, leave a space before you start playing to give both recordings a gap at the front, then send me the two wav (or convert to flac to make it smaller to send) files and I will remove the leading space and see how the numbers differ.
Resistance isn't futile it's V / I.

Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:16 pm

Ant, are you using the same CD for both the SB and Arcam? IE are you ripping the track from the CD then playing the rip vs the CD
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

Ant
Old Hand

Post by Ant » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:30 pm

Yes
Thats what sparked the curiosity
Hey, wait, I got a new complaint
Forever in debt to your priceless advice

www.bte-designs.weebly.com