LT Spice Basics

Assorted info that will be of use, spec sheets, docs etc. Non informational postings will be removed.
IslandPink
No idea why I do this anymore

LT Spice Basics

Post by IslandPink » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:39 pm

I need to find me feet again with LT Spice after losing the set-up a year or two back.
I am finding I've forgotten even the basics of where to set up stuff, store things and how to enable valve models and symbols.
I'm putting this thread down separately to Mike's so it doesn't add too much irrelevant woffle there.
I did look here :
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=335&start=180
but am finding it hard to pick up the key details, Also, things may have moved on since 2013.

OK so please be patient with my beginner questions ..

I've downloaded LT Spice XVII.
I have a load of schematics I saved from before on a back-up. Also people say "store this ( whatever) where you store your schematics"
So where should I (best ) store the schematics ?
Spice_folder.JPG
This is the top directory . Should I add another folder like the 'examples' and 'lib' into this folder, or just use this main folder ?
"I don't care, I don't care, I don't care if he comes round here, I've got my beer in the sideboard here"

IslandPink

Re: LT Spice Basics

Post by IslandPink » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:59 pm

OK, I've sussed this first one. It had defaulted to an area it had created in 'My documents' : sub-folder 'LT Spice XV11'.
I have set up a folder alongside 'examples' and 'lib' in C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceXVII. Now the stuff will all be in the same area.
I then went in 'Tools>Control Panel' in Spice and set up this path in the 'Sim and Lib search paths' tab.
"I don't care, I don't care, I don't care if he comes round here, I've got my beer in the sideboard here"

izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:52 pm

I have the main program directory on the C: drive as you but keep the sim files in a completely different place on the NAS; in sub dir in my audio folder along with all other things audio. Program association seems to keep things going which is I guess what you did.

I use Stephie's drop down tube models from intact audio.

Currently looking for a tube reg models for 0C3 and 0D3. I seem to have added some to my phono ;)

cheers,

Stephen

IslandPink

Post by IslandPink » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:54 pm

I'll be on the lookout - but I notice Stephie Bench only had the others eg. OA2 , OB2.

I went to this thread :
http://www.intactaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62
and downloaded the starter pack with the valve symbols.
However when I tried to put the valve symbols in lib/sym/misc I found there were already symbols for the triode, pentode and tetrode there from the current LT Spice download. Presumably, I can just use these ?

izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:10 pm

I use the drop down .asy files from this thread http://www.intactaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=523 which makes things nice and easy.

cheers,

Stephen

IslandPink

Post by IslandPink » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:13 pm

I'll come back to that ...
Just downloaded the Ayumi model set from here :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-va ... odels.html

There is a slight inconvenience of having to edit each file to replace ^ symbols with ** , however shouldn't be a problem given the limited number of valves you need in each new circuit.

In the thread there are loads of new fits and models from 2013 onwards. I took a sample file of ECC40 and edited the data into an existing file in the folder I'd created.
However when I saved it, the extension went from .inc to .txt
I had to fix this, in Windows 7 - the procedure is :

With view of folder in Explorer :
Top line 'Organise'
Drop-down 'Folder and Search options'
'View' Tab
Untick 'Hide extensions for known file types'

Click on file and rename extension.