FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (charcoal black cone)

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#1 FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (charcoal black cone)

Post by Scottmoose »

As alluded to in my other thread, I have ten pairs of brand-new-in-box Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 wideband drive units with the charcoal black paper cone up for sale. These are the same drivers as the CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units with the natural cone colour, differing only in the black / charcoal pigment added to the paper pulp.

For background interest, the CHP-70 Gen.2 was developed by Markaudio in conjunction with their Japanese distributor and a number of his jazz / small club playing and attending enthusiasts. They wanted to create a 4in wideband driver with a semi 'vintage tone' that captured some of the characteristics of classic wideband units, with a lightly shelved down top end and smooth / natural midrange tone. The original Gen.1 CHP leaned that way; the Gen.2 models introduced a raft of upgrades: an improved basket, a new central cap & fastening thereof, Japanese designed low-mass coil and a new spider design providing a 12% reduction in moving mass.

Main CHP-70 Gen. 2 features:
-Usual Markaudio shallow-profile cone for consistent off-axis response
-Reinforced self-damping polymer basket
-Long-throw suspension
-Well balanced Fs, Qt, Vas to suit different types of loads
-Black (charcoal colour) paper cone
-Supplied with factory gaskets and connecting hardware

I'm asking £30 per pair plus shipping (less than half normal retail)

All drivers are packaged in their original Markaudio boxes. I use sustainable FSC rated outer cardboard boxes fastened with heavy-duty packing tape. These are reinforced inside with recycled heavy-duty cardboard and packed with recycled brown / grey packing paper and high quality bubble-insulation.

Thanks as always for looking, and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Attachments
CHPspec.jpg
CHP1.jpg
CHP2.jpg
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#2 Re: FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (charcoal black cone)

Post by Scottmoose »

In terms of use, being functionally identical to the natural / parchment colour CHP-70 Gen.2, these are quite a flexible little unit, and as noted suit a range of enclosure types.

Frugel-horn Mk3 is a popular choice; our own Mr Topps has built several with the CHP (albeit with the parchment colour cone -same driver other than that as noted though). The Pensil CHP also works well & is nice & simple. They'll go happily in other horn & QW variations of course.

They go well in smaller bookshelf / standmount cabinets also: as noted on the other thread, for vented boxes, 6 litres tuned to 65Hz gives a nicely usable, lightly damped response. If a little more size is available, 8 litres to 55Hz also works well; very good for a 4in driver. Butterworth sealed is approximately 5 litres. Dave has his marKen resistive vent designs also which work nicely; one is shown below. The driver also works well as a compact midbass; Colin and I used it for the Jenna's (one build shown below), and if you want to simply give it a bit of HF 'sparkle', an inexpensive planar or dome can be brought in at a higher frequency. In the 'States the HiVi RT1C-A is popular; sadly it's tricky to get hold of here in the UK, but the Monacor RBT-95 series are a decent alternative.
Attachments
JCHP2.jpg
marKenCHP.jpg
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com