FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (natural cone)

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#1 FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (natural cone)

Post by Scottmoose »

Up for sale: I have eight pairs of brand-new-in-box Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 wideband drive units with the natural paper cone.

The CHP-70 Gen.2 was developed by Markaudio in conjunction with their Japanese distributor and a number of his jazz enthusiast clients, who wanted a 4in wideband driver with a semi 'vintage tone' that captured some of the characteristics of classic wideband drivers, with a lightly shelved down top end and smooth / natural midrange tone. It also works well as a compact midbass or midrange.

Main CHP-70 Gen. 2 features:
-Usual Markaudio shallow-profile cone for consistent off-axis response
-Reinforced self-damping polymer basket
-Long-throw suspension with arrestor to avoid over-excursion
-Well balanced Fs, Qt, Vas to suit different types of load (works well in sealed, vented, horn & QW -two examples below: Pensil CHP with leather front baffle & Frugel-Horn Mk3 finished in ash veneer)
-Natural (parchment / cream colour) paper cone
-Supplied with factory gaskets and connecting hardware

I'm asking £30 per pair (less than half the normal UK retail) plus shipping. For Audio Talk members, a multibuy discount: 2 pairs for £50 + shipping.
Any questions, just ask and thanks as ever for looking. :)
Attachments
chp1.jpg
chp2.jpg
chp-70 Gen.2 spec.jpg
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#2 Re: FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (natural cone)

Post by Scottmoose »

A couple of examples of 'in use'

A Pensil CHP. Black leather front, solid wood trim

And from our own Mr Topps: a Frugel-Horn MK3 build with real ash veneer.
Attachments
chp pensil.jpg
CHP-70 FH3.JPG
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
SimonC
Old Hand

#3 Re: FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (natural cone)

Post by SimonC »

Hi Scott,
What are these like in smaller bookshelf size enclosures?
Cheers
Simon C
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#4 Re: FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (natural cone)

Post by Scottmoose »

Pleasent little units really; they're happy in bookshelf / standmount sized vented, sealed & QW / TL loads. For reference, with a voltage source amp, vented 6 litres tuned to 65Hz is nice (lightly damped alignment, fairly broad tuning so not a 'one-note' bass); with a bit more size you can tune about 10Hz lower; 8 litres to 55Hz is good. Sealed box, say 5 litres gives Butterworth, more or less. QW / TL has plenty of options too.

(general) UPDATE:
2pr already sold, provisional orders for another 4pr. However, I do have more of these units available with the black / charcoal cone (exactly the same apart from the cone colour & also brand-new-in box: I just hadn't got around to putting them up yet, so advance notice: these are available if the natural cone ones sell out).
Ant
Shed dweller

#5 Re: FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (natural cone)

Post by Ant »

They did sound really rather nice in my bipole metronomes too, nice little drivers
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
gninnam
Old Hand

#6 Re: FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (natural cone)

Post by gninnam »

Sound good in the Reiver Jenna's so recommend these drivers.
steve s
Shed dweller

#7 Re: FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (natural cone)

Post by steve s »

I'm hoping they sound good in my campervan..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
SimonC
Old Hand

#8 Re: FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (natural cone)

Post by SimonC »

Scottmoose wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:46 pm Pleasent little units really; they're happy in bookshelf / standmount sized vented, sealed & QW / TL loads. For reference, with a voltage source amp, vented 6 litres tuned to 65Hz is nice (lightly damped alignment, fairly broad tuning so not a 'one-note' bass); with a bit more size you can tune about 10Hz lower; 8 litres to 55Hz is good. Sealed box, say 5 litres gives Butterworth, more or less. QW / TL has plenty of options too.

(general) UPDATE:
2pr already sold, provisional orders for another 4pr. However, I do have more of these units available with the black / charcoal cone (exactly the same apart from the cone colour & also brand-new-in box: I just hadn't got around to putting them up yet, so advance notice: these are available if the natural cone ones sell out).
5 litre sealed box sounds perfect for what I have in mind (SWIDT...). I've dropped you a PM :)

Cheers
Simon C
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#9 Re: FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (natural cone)

Post by Scottmoose »

Cheers Simon. :)
dbr
New User

#10 Re: FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (natural cone)

Post by dbr »

Hullo there. Do you still have a pair of the natural colour drivers? I’ll take em if so. I can’t PM yet apparently so if you could drop me an email that’d be great. davidblairross then the at symbol gmail dot com

Cheers!
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#11 Re: FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (natural cone)

Post by Scottmoose »

Email sent; if it doesn't get through for whatever reason, you can contact me via email. Address is on my website www.wodendesign.com (bottom-link on the left of its homepage)

Cheers
Scott
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#12 Re: FS Mark Audio (Markaudio) CHP-70 Gen.2 drive units (natural cone)

Post by Scottmoose »

All of the natural cone units now sold. I still do have some of the charcoal / black cone version however.

Many thanks for looking & to those who bought the drivers; I hope you enjoy them. :)