shipping to usa

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
ed
retired

#1 shipping to usa

Post by ed »

I have an amp on ebay at the moment and its advertised collection only....

I've had questions from the USA about cost to ship......I've responded that the ad says collection only but it did caude me to reflect.

Has anybody got any thoughts on this......my rationale is that it's high risk and prohibitive on cost...to ship a valve amp with associated insurance(in the region of £450) would cost around £80-£100. I appreciate the value could be recoverable but in the event of mishap I'm conscious of the hassle and grief involved.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: shipping to usa

Post by pre65 »

ed wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:48 pm
I appreciate the value could be recoverable but in the event of mishap I'm conscious of the hassle and grief involved.
I would be too.

Plus, if it did survive the journey the buyer could claim it was damaged and get his money back.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#3 Re: shipping to usa

Post by Toppsy »

Agreed it would not be worth the hassle. From what I have read elsewhere on other forums that in the event of a dispute Ebay will always take the word and side of the buyer every time over that of the seller. And if you are using paypal as the means of the transaction payment then they will automatically take the monies out of your paypal account to reimburse the buyer, even before the dispute is settled to the satisfaction of all sides.

Have you tired advertising the sale of the amp on any the other audio forums? If not might be worth considering.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#4 Re: shipping to usa

Post by Ali Tait »

The easiest way would be to have the buyer arrange shipping. He will if he’s that keen, and it means any responsibility for shipping lies with him. Doing it this way will also weed out any scammers.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: shipping to usa

Post by Mike H »

Yes I like that idea.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: shipping to usa

Post by Mike H »

From my experience of selling transformers online, the big stumbing block for sending overseas was always the weight. Prices going up all the time, it got so sales to US and Canada just stopped. I mean they could always buy, but didn't want to pay for the shipping.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

#7 Re: shipping to usa

Post by ed »

Toppsy wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:41 pm Have you tired advertising the sale of the amp on any the other audio forums? If not might be worth considering.
thanks for the suggestion Colin. It might have some mileage if I were a member of other fora, but alas I'm not. I am a member at diyaudio but the uk membership is limited there and they're as skinnyflint as the members here so I don't feel very positive about advertising there.

I'll leave it for a week or two and if nothing happens I think I will adopt Ali's suggestion and adjust the ad to say prospective buyers are welcome to organise their own shipping. I'm not sure how that sits with ebay as they would lose out on the 10% fee which seems to be attached to shipping value. Interesting times.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#8 Re: shipping to usa

Post by Toppsy »

Hi Ed,
was going to send you a pm but your profile doesn't include this communication option.
However, If it helps send me a pm or email via this forum and I will post up your amp on your behalf on the AoS forum in their private sales section with details how to contact you the seller. I'll need photos though as they will not accept the ad without them. I can host the photos for you.
ed
retired

#9 Re: shipping to usa

Post by ed »

Toppsy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:05 pm Hi Ed,
was going to send you a pm but your profile doesn't include this communication option.
However, If it helps send me a pm or email via this forum and I will post up your amp on your behalf on the AoS forum in their private sales section with details how to contact you the seller. I'll need photos though as they will not accept the ad without them. I can host the photos for you.
thanks Colin, you have email.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#10 Re: shipping to usa

Post by mainscablesrus »

Post it on AOS it will sell immediately LOL
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi