Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Richard Higgins
User

#1 Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by Richard Higgins »

Quite a few years ago I bought a OTA serviced Leak Trough Line from Paul at Classique Sounds in Leicester. When I picked it up he was playing a pair of Quad ELS 57s with Quicksilver amps. The house was semi-detached and he was using the bow fronted front room. There was just the hifi and a sofa in the room. He played “Jazz at the Pawn Shop” and one really felt a part of the audience, there were even people behind me making too much noise. It was so good that I felt I must try them at home one day.
Fast forward to a couple of months ago and a pair of 57s are for sale in the next village. The seller was 82 and had used them once a week in a room in the loft of his bungalow. He was selliing them because he was having difficulty getting up the ladder into the loft room and his hearing ability has declined.
The speakers date from 1970 and were rebuilt by One Thing Audio in 2004, when all panels were serviced, audio transformers rebuilt, rectifier boards replaced and clamp boards fitted. (receipt available)

I can send photos to anyone interested.

As the photos show they are too large for my room, and are only able to hint at their capabilities.

They are on legs made by the previous owner which are about 14 inches high.
What really surprised me was just how loud they go with a 2A3 Se amp. With cd and Phono there is almost sufficient volume.
The speakers play without any crackles or sparks. The cosmetics are not perfect, but are good for the age, there are slight creases in the grilles low down, they may have occurred when OTA rebuilt them.
I have two cardboard boxes and packing, but the boxes are old and are I would not trust them with a delivery firm, so pick up only. The speakers in their boxes just fit in a BMW 1 series with the rear seats down.
Obviously available for demonstration, near Oxford. £280.
Thanks for looking
Richard
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by pre65 »

Hi Richard, that's a very good price.

Can I have them please ?

PM sent.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Richard Higgins
User

#3 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Hi Phil
Yes, I bought them for a sensible price, so am passing them on at a sensible price.
pm sent.

Cheers

Richard
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by IslandPink »

Crikey, you had your starting-blocks at the ready there, Phil :!:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by Dave the bass »

Richard! Stop! Don't sell them to Phil.... do you know what sorta music he'll play through them? Baaaaaddddd music! Those poor likkle speakers..... ! :)

BTW Phwooooaaaaaarrrr! Nice one Phil.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by pre65 »

Must admit I've wanted a pair of Quad ESLs for a long time.

Should be picking them up next Thursday and really looking forward to trying them at home. :D :D

Edmund Burke

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by IslandPink »

ESL57's + GK-71's sounds like a great combo.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by pre65 »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:38 pm ESL57's + GK-71's sounds like a great combo.
Could be Mark.

I was going to dismantle the GK-71s but I'll see how all my amps cope with the ESLs first.

Edmund Burke

Richard Higgins
User

#9 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Dave the bass wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:16 pm Richard! Stop! Don't sell them to Phil.... do you know what sorta music he'll play through them? Baaaaaddddd music! Those poor likkle speakers..... ! :)
Hi Dave
I had to sell them, I couldn't get on with the pipe and slippers.

Cheers

Richard
JohnG
Old Hand

#10 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by JohnG »

My early 2000 Quad Serviced ESL 57's still sound very good when compared to a recently serviced OTA Overhauled Pair.
Both pairs gel very well with 845 PP. I,m sure they will get your attention, Mine work best about 2.6 metres apart and try different heights, the highest I have had then is about 1.2mtrs, tilted to almost vertically plumb, where they are almost off balance !!!, this is the best place I have heard them and will one day have a pair permanently in the ball park.
Any thoughts on how a flat baffle around the speaker might affect their performance, (side extensions and a skirt, is of interest to me) ?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by pre65 »

Re the ESL57 electrostatic loudspeakers.

As good as they are, the logistics of a pair (the ESL57) and a 55" television just don't work in my living room, so I've made the difficult decision to move them on. :(

They cost me £280 from Richard in March 2018, and I would let them go on here for the same price providing I know the person. On Ebay I suspect they would go for quite a bit more.

Collection is preferred as I would wish the purchaser to hear them in full working order.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#12 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by Nick »

I will have them if someone else has not got their first, but collection may be a issue.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:45 pm I will have them if someone else has not got their first, but collection may be a issue.
I still have the boxes that Richard used to pack them in Nick, and I should be up in West Yorkshire for a couple of days over the Christmas hols, so if you are about I could drop them off.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#14 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by Nick »

That would be fine. Happy to chip in a bit for the petrol.

I will add though that I want them as they fall into the "always wanted a pair of them", so probably wont use them for a bit as my listening room/workshop is a bit damp this time of year.

So if there is someone here who wants them and will listen to them immediately I will stand down and let them go to them.

Apart from that, let me now how you want paying.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by Dave the bass »

Hot dang! Look at what I bought last month for exactly the same reason...

A skater-mate was having a clear-out.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"