Colin & Scott's clearance thread!

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#16 Re: Colin & Scott's clearance thread!

Post by Scottmoose »

They should do fine; in this application what you're really trying to do is enhance off-axis dispersion at the top end, which in turn impacts the rest of the behaviour & helps give that extra bit of 'air' in the HF. The little Tweeter No.3 should do that nicely.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: Colin & Scott's clearance thread!

Post by pre65 »

That sounds good Scott + Colin.

Would just need a capacitor to connect it to the 12P ?

If so, what would be a good value to start at ?

Colin, sending you a message. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#18 Re: Colin & Scott's clearance thread!

Post by Toppsy »

Phil,
I would suggest you start with a 1.8uF cap. This will give a XO around 11kHz.
If you want a little more treble 'air' a 2.0uF cap will give you a XO around 10kHz and a 2.2uF cap will lower XO to around 9kHz.
Use a quality polypropylene cap. Solen caps from Falcon Acoustics are of reasonable quality and at these prices quite cheap. Might be worth buying all 3 values to experiment with.

Might also be worth trying a 1.5uF cap if you have any. This will give a XO frequency around 13kHz. Just depends which sound right to your ears.
chris661
Shed dweller

#19 Re: Colin & Scott's clearance thread!

Post by chris661 »

I'd suggest getting a 1uF cap, and a bunch of 0.5uF or 0.3uF caps, and a rotary switch.
Wire it up so you can turn the switch and add more caps in parallel to the 1uF. Find a setting you're happy with, and solder it in place.

Auditory memory is short, so being able to make quick adjustments is useful.

I wish I had more space, time and money, those dual-Alpair towers were excellent.

Chris
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: Colin & Scott's clearance thread!

Post by pre65 »

Thanks Colin & Chris.

I've got a few caps in the spares box, so I'll see how I fare with those. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
gninnam
Old Hand

#21 Re: Colin & Scott's clearance thread!

Post by gninnam »

Scottmoose wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:16 pm Next up, something else different: a pair of custom marKen / Fonken enclosures with dual Alpair 10 Generation 3s (current generation units). These are a unique custom speaker, they're the only pair in existence to the best of my knowledge. Designed by Dave Dlugos of Planet10. The marKen / Fonken design is not an Onken variation, or any of it's predecessors -they just look like them. They're actually an aperiodic / leaky sealed box variation, in this case using the friction of the high aspect ratio vents to provide the desired acoustic resistance. Colin's usual superb cabinetry; 18mm Finnish birch plywood, real oak veneer with an oil finish. I've heard them a couple of times and they're rather special, as they should be with four state of the art drivers and a cabinet that's -well, not exactly a simple build. ;) Easy to place thanks to the well-damped box alignment, wide horizontal dispersion, excellent midband & good top end. Friendly load for valve amps too as they're quite resistive / unreactive. The current generation Alpair 10.3 had more detail than the earlier units -rotten term; shorthand for having a cone with greater conversion efficiency. Doubling them up brings significant gains in dynamic range / headroom. In general that's not advisable with wideband drivers (not larger ones anyway) but the 10.3 has very good dispersion so you can do this sort of thing which wouldn't be possible with most others. A pair of speakers I'm going to be sorry to see go...

Asking £650.
Are these still for sale and what are the dimensions?
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#22 Re: Colin & Scott's clearance thread!

Post by Toppsy »

Yes those speakers are still for sale.
Dimensions (mm) are 275 x 275 x 1060 high.

If you would like to audition the speakers PM me and we can exchange details and sort something out.
gninnam
Old Hand

#23 Re: Colin & Scott's clearance thread!

Post by gninnam »

Great to meet you last night Colin and thank you and your wife for the hospitality 8)

Also, thanks for letting me come home with a different pair of speakers to those I was looking to purchase :wink:

A quick pic of them in-situ:

Sounding very nice (played some Dream Theater too).

Cheers
Andrew
Eternally single

#24 Re: Colin & Scott's clearance thread!

Post by Andrew »

Great speakers those, a good buy.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#25 Re: Colin & Scott's clearance thread!

Post by Scottmoose »

Excellent. They look great in their new home, enjoy! :)

Speaking of which, we've got another pair of A- stock Jennas which we need to move on. Very nice English oak veneer, some small component upgrades in the filter, and they have the engraved brass thanks plaque on the back. Since we're stuck for space, we're going to have to sell them at a big discount; if anyone's interested, give Colin or myself a squawk. I'll post some pictures later.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#26 Re: Colin & Scott's clearance thread!

Post by Scottmoose »

1pr Mark Audio Alpair 10P. About 10 hours running time, excellent condition. Really nice 5in widebander; fibreglass reinforced paper cone, slightly higher sensitivity than the metal coned 10.3. Lots of linear travel, nice balance of Fs, Q & Vas so good for a variety of enclosures. Very shallow cone profile, so dispersion is much better than usual.

Asking £120pr
Attachments
alpair-10p.jpg
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#27 Re: Colin & Scott's clearance thread!

Post by Scottmoose »

For completeness, I'll repeat the separate add here for a matched pair of Scan Speak's famous D2905/9500 dome tweeters, as used in speakers like Lynn Olson's Ariel. Still in original box and packing, numbers 70 & 71 of their batch. Lovely unit, very linear response, ferrofluid damping, quality metal faceplate & the back-chamber from the 9900 Revelator. Still one of the best soft-dome tweeters on the market. Mounted in a test enclosure once, have had approximately 20 minutes light use. Basically 'as new' condition units. I've been hanging onto them as I like the 9500 a lot, but I'm not going to get chance to use them any time in the near future (not enough space), so better they move on than just sit on the shelf.
Website: http://www.scan-speak.dk/?page_id=164&s ... rod_id=107
Data sheet: http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d2905-950000.pdf
Asking £145pr (slightly over 30% saving on current retail price)
Attachments
9500 01.JPG
9500 02.JPG
9500 03.JPG
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#28 Re: Colin & Scott's clearance thread!

Post by Scottmoose »

Now this is depressing me, so I'll get it over with.

1pr of Jenna loudspeakers. Those who've been to Owston have seen & heard this pair, which were the originals. Colin put a lot into these. External crossovers, upgraded midbass drivers with slightly lower mass & improved linearity. Roughly 100 hours on these. They'll come with a brand new pair of tweeters, as I've been using them recently as a tweeter test-bed. The XO is shifted toward a Butterworth alignment -nice power-response, seems to suit them. Real American white oak veneer, raw (not paper-backed) so a lovely grain; oil finish. They weigh a bit. Make that a lot; it's good for these multi-driver designs, giving them a high-mass platform to work from. I really don't want to part with these, but I'm quite literally out of space. :cry:

Condition about 9/10; they've been used, but they've also been looked after. There's a small sliver of veneer chipped from an XO box, but it's not too serious & the XOs are best tucked out of the way anyway.

Asking £600pr -I should add every penny will go to Colin.
Attachments
Jenna 02.jpg
Jenna 01.jpg
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#29 Re: Colin & Scott's clearance thread!

Post by Scottmoose »

A few more images:
Attachments
Jenna 04.jpg
Jenna 03.jpg
jenna 05.jpg
jenna 05.jpg (15.25 KiB) Viewed 8480 times
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#30 Re: Colin & Scott's clearance thread!

Post by mainscablesrus »

Ever considered making 1 design of speaker and concentrating on selling them?
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi