Not audio gear, but two free electric motors to good home(s)

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Irene Idler
User

#1 Not audio gear, but two free electric motors to good home(s)

Post by Irene Idler »

When I came to the UK, I brought my food processor and spice grinder with me, and Mr. Idler set me up with a big ol' transformer to run them. Recently the safety interlock on the food processor broke, and the cost of ordering a replacement from the US was so ridiculous that I gave up and bought a Kenwood that replaces the food processor, the spice grinder, the juicer, and the kitchen scales, plus adds a full-on blender, all for less than the replacement bits for the Cuisinart.

The base units for the 120V food processor and spice grinder are well used but high quality and in perfect working condition; one contains a 1000w motor and one a 200w motor. Mr. Idler doesn't envision having a use for them, so I figured I'd put them up for grabs, and that chances were pretty good someone here might find a purpose for one or both. They're unsuitable for any sort of audio application because they're very loud (I did momentarily envision building a leslie, though I'm damned if I know what the hell we'd do with one), but they work just fine and I hate to see anything useful go to waste.

Just ask and one or both are yours. If you come and pick them up from Chesterfield, you might even get a demo of Thermionic Idler's turntable (with brand new Van den Hul Black Beauty) and a bit of conversation about his current projects. (A solid state preamp(!) and a pair of monoblocks based on the original Beast design.) It won't be sounding its best as the Hornings are being divas again, but my old Celestion F series towers still sound surprisingly good considering they cost a tenth of what the Hornings did.
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#2 Re: Not audio gear, but two free electric motors to good home(s)

Post by Thermionic Idler »

We can't donate them because obviously they're set up for US (120V) mains - so the only other option would be recycling - and as M says, we can't bring ourselves to just chuck them in the skip.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets