Wanted, small metal turning lathe

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
cressy
Shed dweller

#1 Wanted, small metal turning lathe

Post by cressy »

Anyone got a metal turning lathe sat in the back of the shed they would be willing to part with?

Having got reasonably good with the wood turning lathe im looking at getting a metal turning one as i have several ideas that i cant realise without one. I had my eye on a hobbymat md65 as my wood lathe is a woodturning variant of it, but its bit over budget

I have a budget of about 250 ish, dont need screw cutting facilities or anything like that, just a basic turning ability and a reasonable throw so i can turn up to a diameter of about 60mm ish.

Speedwise, something between 450 to 900rpm as im looking at mild steel, aluminium and brass, maybe some delrin or acetal.

I'll want to turn stuff like control knobs, straight cylinders and feet, maybe some other small parts so nothing big.

Cheers ant
Richard Higgins
User

#2 Re: Wanted, small metal turning lathe

Post by Richard Higgins »

Hi Ant
This should suite your requirements, assuming it's in OK condition;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METAL-LATHE-G ... Sw4shX7heI

Or, but no 4 jaw chuck and several days to go;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbymat-MD65 ... SwTA9X6WeV

Best of luck

Richard
cressy
Shed dweller

#3 Re: Wanted, small metal turning lathe

Post by cressy »

I already have my eye on that hobbymat and its the one I'd like
It's not too far to go to fetch it either. I havent the space for the other one unfortunately
Cheers ant
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#4 Re: Wanted, small metal turning lathe

Post by jack »

Looking at that auction, the lathe looks OK but difficult to tell. It's not the original chuck key and the plastic chuck guard is missing. There should also be a spare backplate and a set of gears for different ratios....

Mine came with a lot of bits - I can't check what was standard and what was added unfortunately as I'm out of the country...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
steve s
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Wanted, small metal turning lathe

Post by steve s »

There a little john raglan lathe on the bay at a bargin price, they go for quite a bit, auction runs out today though
Its a real heavy lump.. a little work and a paint and you have a proper engineers small lathe worth hiring a tail lift van
This is what it could look like
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp34 ... 7de279.jpg
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#6 Re: Wanted, small metal turning lathe

Post by Paul Barker »

Oh yes, Little John. Nice.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
cressy
Shed dweller

#7 Re: Wanted, small metal turning lathe

Post by cressy »

Sadly I don't have the space for something that size, i will need something 'man portable' hence something like the hobbymat
Don't things SWMBO would appreciate one of those in the dining room......
steve s
Shed dweller

#8 Re: Wanted, small metal turning lathe

Post by steve s »

I have somthing that could be made into a small lathe, its under a lot of boards so i cant get to it easily at the moment i bought it it a few years ago as i thought it was a good basis for a small lathe project.
Let me know..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
cressy
Shed dweller

#9 Re: Wanted, small metal turning lathe

Post by cressy »

I'm intrigued steve