WORLD DESIGNS VALVE AMP WANTED

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Adamski70
User

#16 Re: WORLD DESIGNS VALVE AMP WANTED

Post by Adamski70 »

Ali Tait wrote:These would probably suit. Supposed to be good too-

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthre ... power-amps
Ali, cheers, but i just wouldn't have the space for such units. They Look pretty good though.
I reckon my Mrs would run me outta town if I pitched up with that set up!
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#17 Re: WORLD DESIGNS VALVE AMP WANTED

Post by Paul Barker »

Since you have a post on hybrid's: You could buy my Pass F (hopefully Nick will insert number, I always forget) that Nick built me. I use it all the time because I am always between valve amp projects. Like everything Nick builds it sounds great and always works.

PM me to deal about price.

Depending on your source you may need an active preamp, you would certainly need a passive attenuator.

I would then have to get off my but and build something.

Maybe put a nice 2a3 preamp with volume pot and you have your hybrid. I could build that into it for a price.

No pressure, I don't really care. Just making conversation.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#18 Re: WORLD DESIGNS VALVE AMP WANTED

Post by Paul Barker »

One thing I will just say. What Steve the Shaddow is doing with push pull outclasses the sound of the WAD push pull amps without any need for Black Gates or any other boutique parts. Its also a lot better than most things I have built.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Adamski70
User

#19 Re: WORLD DESIGNS VALVE AMP WANTED

Post by Adamski70 »

Thanks Paul
Lots to take in and learn being
New to the Valve amp..
I'll pm you..
Paul Barker

#20 Re: WORLD DESIGNS VALVE AMP WANTED

Post by Paul Barker »

Its always a matter of personal findings which are always different to other persons findings. But you have to filter out the opinions on the web that are prejudiced and often lacking true experience.

The only thing that is certain is that you going to hear what you are considering is your best course of action before buying.
Adamski70
User

#21 Re: WORLD DESIGNS VALVE AMP WANTED

Post by Adamski70 »

Yes I wanted to enjoy the experience of looking for the right amp / equipment for me and my music but I'm finding it a bit of a dizzy headache if I'm honest. Obviously not referring to the help here I'm getting but as you say reading too much about lots of products on the web.. Leaves you with paralyses !
Btw did you get the PM I sent..
I'm poor at this forum stuff !
Paul Barker

#22 Re: WORLD DESIGNS VALVE AMP WANTED

Post by Paul Barker »

Ah yes, just read it.

If you can be patient I think you are best to go to some gatherings and hear some things. That's the short answer and the most important element of your decision. Get listening experience before you buy.

We each have slightly different findings if all sat in the same room at the same time. The only way to find your value for money is to join in. People go to various event around the country these days. I only go to the little one most of the people in this forum attent at some time or another, which takes place a little north of Doncaster about every six months over two days.

Also good to talk about these things face to face.

If you are in too much of a hurry like with a marriage partner, jump in in haste repent in leisure. My advise since you are not about to start the very long journey without end of learning to scratch build something yourself, is make do with a perfectly good solid state amp that you may already own, until you have listened to enough valve amps. Not many are like each other and seldome like solid state.

I quite like, well I like a lot some old solid state sounds better than a lot of valve amps. But I can only build valve amps.

I have some great old solid state mono locks that just don't work properly. I bought the components to rebuild them, but there they sit in the box they came in, while I attend to the important detail of surviving life.

Most things break and collect dust until we repair them or join the junk pile of stuff that turns us into a hoarder.
Nick
Site Admin

#23 Re: WORLD DESIGNS VALVE AMP WANTED

Post by Nick »

Yes, as Paul says, it depends on what you like. The Bristol commercial show is the end of the month, I will be around there Saturday, Sunday. And this enthusiast show next month might be a good chance to listen to real systems http://www.thehifishow.com/
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#24 Re: WORLD DESIGNS VALVE AMP WANTED

Post by pre65 »

It might help Adamski if we knew what area he lived.

There might be other members local ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Adamski70
User

#25 Re: WORLD DESIGNS VALVE AMP WANTED

Post by Adamski70 »

Good advice Paul, your right, I'm not in a hurry and this route is not one to jump into uninformed, as I am at the moment.
I will be attending the Bristol show, so that should be quite enlightening too.

Again thanks for your valuable advice, much needed and appreciated.
Adamski70
User

#26 Re: WORLD DESIGNS VALVE AMP WANTED

Post by Adamski70 »

pre65 wrote:It might help Adamski if we knew what area he lived.

There might be other members local ?

pre65, I live in Barnet, but am always about the North London Area.
I did recently meet up with a forum member to buy his unwanted DAC, and he very kindly
played his set up to me, which was kind of him. I really liked it, but when I got home and played my SS
amp and relaxed, with a nice glass of something, I lOVED my current sound to.
All about the music and the environment for me. But the Valve itch still is very itchy!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: WORLD DESIGNS VALVE AMP WANTED

Post by Mike H »

Didn't Simon C have the 6550 version?

KEL 84 is 15W per channel, should be loud enough in a living room?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#28 Re: WORLD DESIGNS VALVE AMP WANTED

Post by Mike H »

Nick wrote:
One question if anyone can answer, why the mammoth difference between prices for say something like the top WD amp and entry level
Korean made Allnic amps? I realise it's a pretty Uninformed naive question!
Electrically, probably not a lot, though a fully tricked out WD amp has possibly got better components in it (or it can if you want). Main difference is likely to be down to the fancy casework and several levels of middleman costs.
I think so too, typical problem of a very small concern (WAD) trying to get the mechanical stuff fabricated in UK/Europe, from what I've seen of them that's where most of the cost goes, considrably less if it were just a bag of the components only even including the transformers and a PCB. All of which looked very ordinary, must be said, or the ones I saw the innards of did.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

#29 Re: WORLD DESIGNS VALVE AMP WANTED

Post by Nick »

I think you may be assuming the WD amp costs more than the Korean one Mike. To copy a list of their products...

"The current Allnic Audio offering includes three phono stages priced at $1,600, $5,000 and $10,900 respectively; a $2,300 cartridge; two line stages at $4,800 and $8,900; an integrated at $4,500; a stereo amp at $4,500; and two monos at $10,000 and $18,500 the pair respectively. There are also speakers, step-up transformers and additional electronics."
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Adamski70
User

#30 Re: WORLD DESIGNS VALVE AMP WANTED

Post by Adamski70 »

yes, Allnic entry level integrated Valve is £4500 sterling