PSVane 211

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 PSVane 211

Post by Paul Barker »

Was doing my occasional search for an eBay bargain, and ordered this PSVane 211. Just one for the moment. Might take 3 months to arrive, but it will be an interesting excercise to compare it to a GE VT4C and see if it is any better than the Chinese 211's I previously tried and sold on as they were so awful sounding.. If it is, I'll buy another. If it isn't I'll cut my losses and get what I can for it.

I see they make a 212, but I've moved away from that direction.

As you know I managed to obtain a reasonably priced pair of vt4c'sfrom somewhere in Europe, and also since I mentioned that have bagged a very reasonable pair of 801a's also from Europe.

IF you search these sort of valves, be assured the UK and USA have so many bidders you will never bag a bargain. You have to find them listed in an obscure country, or you'll be paying four times as much. Al auctions work the same way, as soon as there are at least two interested parties, price goes above worth. When you are the only one after it, price is 1/4 of worth. Bug out as soon as you realise you are head to head with someone keen.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#2 Re: PSVane 211

Post by Paul Barker »

Oh darn it, couldn't hold my buy it now finger back

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/321951730347
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#3 Re: PSVane 211

Post by Paul Barker »

The PSVane 211 arrived, which was very quick form China.

Packaging is exemplary. Visual inspection of the construction gives me hope it should sound better than the Chinese 211's I previously tried.

Don't have anything built these days I could just plug it into. So shall build a 211 monoblock in the first instance. Try this one valve against one vt4c.

By the looks of the build quality I have more positive feelings about this than my prior experience, which is now too long in the past to be reliable or relevant.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: PSVane 211

Post by IslandPink »

Good effort. Will be interesting to hear your opinions on the sound.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#5 Re: PSVane 211

Post by Ali Tait »

I think these are made at what used to be the Guigang factory, which was bought by some of the designers who left Shuguang, when they found out they were getting screwed over profits from the "Black Treasure" series of valves they had designed for Shuguang.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: PSVane 211

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yes,
Look forward to hearing the fruits of your efforts Paul.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Paul Barker

#7 Re: PSVane 211

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks,

The reason for building a mono block is because I want to use the Tribute opt: heavy :oops:
Paul Barker

#8 Re: PSVane 211

Post by Paul Barker »

One is always reluctant to build a monoblock first because there will undoubtedly be improvements found and therefore the second won't match the first.

I suppose that makes little sense.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: PSVane 211

Post by pre65 »

Paul Barker wrote:One is always reluctant to build a monoblock first because there will undoubtedly be improvements found and therefore the second won't match the first.

I suppose that makes little sense.
Makes sense to me. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker

#10 Re: PSVane 211

Post by Paul Barker »

I bought another modern specialty tube to continue my research. It was a single out of a pair because partner had failed.

Anyway it arrived gassy.

Seller refunded all my money fair play.

So a total pair of heralded high quality modern tubes turn out to be failures!

Be warned.

Can't send you a link as oddly eBay have removed all trace of the listing.

Oh wait a minute I can get the link from my email. They've made it hard to find that's all.

Look up this item number. 141889638246

The seller was very good about it, claimed his brother posted it, seems brother didn't check inside the box. Brother was pretty dumb then. I thought maybe I had been sent the duffer in error and someone who had bought a display only tube got the real thing.

Thesis TJ 211 looked the part. But two out of two failed.

The seller said he preferred the sound of the PSVane 2 he replaced them with.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: PSVane 211

Post by Mike H »

Gassy after 3 months, not good! :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."