Wanted m/c step up / Headamp

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Andy831
User

#1 Wanted m/c step up / Headamp

Post by Andy831 »

Bit of a long shot this lads but looking to buy a m/c step up transformer.

If you have one that you dont want then drop me a PM with a photo and brief description and how much you want for it.

Would love to build one but I just do not have the skill

Andy
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Andy, I have a pair of unused Sowter 9570s you could use.

But there are lots of other options, I use Lundahls on my phono, Mark has replaced his S&Bs with a pair of Tribute transformers. Many others here are very happy with Cinemag or vintage mike transformers.

I know its not what you asked for, but there isn't a simplier thing to build. Just get a box, and four phono sockets (maybe six if you want to allow setting the loading externally) and thats it.

If you wanted to try, I would be happy to watch over your shoulder one weekend.

What phono stage is it going to be used with? It might be better to build them in if there is room?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Cinemag's seem to have good following and are at a reasonable price, Ask Will for info.

Try searching for Dr TRON on e-bay he sometimes has vintage mic steps, I was very patient and paid $14 + p&p for a pair of so-called ex-BBC, there are very good value.

S&B are very nice but are unobtainium now, sadly, but were always pricey.

If you want solid state go for the Hagerman Piccolo, or I have a simple circuit for about £10 that's a good starter.

Hope this adds to the mix.

cheers,

-- Andrew
Andy831
User

#4 M/C Step up transformer/headamp

Post by Andy831 »

Nick

Thanks for the very kind offer, I think I would be an absolute fool if I pass up that chance so the answer is thank you I would love to have a go.

There is no rush to get this sorted I am using a high output M/C just at the moment, But I would like to pay you for the bits I need and let me know what else I need and where to buy it So I can get everything in place and ready for "the big day"

Andy (Newbie Bodger)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well, the main thing to decide on, is the TX's to use, as I said before there is a wide choice. The final choice is up to you, any of the options (and if I have missed any, can people post) are good.

The only bias I can add, is I note that Mark sold his S&Bs after getting the Tributes.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

And another opinion to throw in the mix http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/KandK ... /6742.html

cheers,

Stephen
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

The Hagerman Piccolo is another option, I have favorably compared it to my TX-103, you can find this on enjoythemusic's site. The differences are not huge but they are there.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

The new World Designs option are very good.

http://wduk.worldomain.net/acatalog/Turntable_Kits.html
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Thats interesting Stephen, I didn't know about them, bit more costly, but a good writeup.

Greg, do you know if the WD stepups differ from the Audio note AN-S1L ones? I noticed the containers look very similar and there is the Andy Grove link.

The big problem Andy, is that all the sugegstions are good ones, but I don't know anyone who has heard more than a couple of them :-(
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Nick,

Good question which I don't know the answer to. Certainly andy Grove is well employed by both Peter's from each company. It may well be that they are rebadged Audionote, I simple don't know. What I will say is the perform as well as my Lundahl LL9206's.

Best wishes,

Greg
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ok, I just wondered having seen how similar the exterior looks. of course, if they were the same, it wouldn't be a bad thing, just a thing :-)
Andy831
User

Post by Andy831 »

Hmmmm slightly bewildering choice as always in our hobby :lol:

My amp is an Andy Grove design (Which I like very much ) but I also understand from previous reading that the Sowters are well regarded.

I suppose at the end of the day it all comes down to cost, However if Nick has a pair of spare Sowters and he chose to build his with Lundahls then that probably tells a story?

Whats the comparaitive costs between them Nick

Andy
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Thats not entirly the story Andy :-)

I built my first phono stage some years ago now, and got the Lundahls then, I have used them ever since in my phono stages. We did a direct comparison between them and the S&B's at Whittam a year or so back, there was maybe a very very slight advantage to the S&Bs, but it was small.

I got the Sowters last year to mod another phono stage but never used them.

The Lundahls are good, I don't feel the need to replace them in my phono, but I must admit that enlightened self interest on my part would be to try and convince you to try the Tributes. Maybe Mark can tell us how he found the pair he got?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14 Step

Post by IslandPink »

Hello Folks,
Well, I've only used the S& B Tx-103s and the Tribute amorphous 1:10's . James D was of the opinion the best budget-priced one was one of the Sowter ones, but I don't know which one, if there are more than one ...

The S&B's are jolly large and sound excellent after they are burned in for 50-100 hours with a CD-output sized signal onto the secondaries. They ought to be about the best out there on low bass because of their huge size . The cores are 80% nickel .
Somebody urged me to try Pieter's new 'nano-crystalline amorphous' 1:10 step-ups , saying they were way better than the S&Bs. I found this was hype , but they are very good . They are a little better, in my system - midrange tone a little warmer , and the treble detail ( edges ) a little crisper . Otherwise it was neck and neck . The differences were subtle . The Tributes are a bit easier to source - he may still have some off the shelf . I paid about £160 including postage, but they will be £180+ now due to the exchange rate dropping .

Mark
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I'm told that Tribute trafos are about as easy to acquire as pulling teeth from a hen.

what's the secret?