Stellaphone tape recorders.

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
shane
Social outcast

#1 Stellaphone tape recorders.

Post by shane »

A friend was recently clearing out his late mother's effects and came across three Stellaphone ST454 reel-to-reel tape recorders, which he promptly gave to me, knowing that I'm "into that sort of thing".

All three are in the same condition. They are virtually unused, so have no sign of mechanical wear in the transports, and all tape heads are like new. All play back and record ok and all the magic eye indicators work beautifully. All three come with their original handbooks, and one has it's original warranty card ready to send off! As far as I can work out, they were purchased in the very early sixties. My friend says he remembers them sitting in the corner of his Dad's study, but never remembers them being used.

All three are showing the signs of fifty years of storage. The cabinets are covered in Rexine fabric which has discoloured and is starting to peel away from the plywood. Some of the brass decoration is a bit tarnished, and the sponge rings stuck inside the lids to hold tape reels in place when they're being carried have all disintegrated.

In addition, each of the tape hubs contains a clutch which consists of three felt pads about 10mm in diameter. These have completely de-natured and will need to be replaced before the machines will run satisfactorily. This will be a simple DIY job. At the moment, the machines all run, but are a bit erratic and noisy. Finally, one of them is missing the belt drive to it's tape counter (a round section belt about 1.5mm thick and 20cm long), and the other two don't look as though they will last long. The main drive from the motor to the capstans and hubs is via a square section belt about 4mm thick. All of these look good, but have taken a slight "set" where they've been sitting on the motor pulley. This improved noticeably in the short time I ran the machines, but if necessary, replacement belts shouldn't be too hard to source.

These are four-track mono machines, ie they will play twice in each direction on the tape, but you cannot record both tracks in one direction at once for stereo as there is only one record and playback amp. There is however a socket which will allow stereo playback of a pre-recorded tape through a suitable external stereo amp.

I have no idea what these are worth, and will be putting them on Ebay next week, but if anyone wants to make me an offer for one or all, send me a PM.

Specs here:

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

As ever, I've got the thread title wrong. Nick, could you change Stellavox to Stellaphone? Pretty Please?

Edit: Thanks!
Last edited by shane on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Strip 'em down, sell the Mullard ECC83's to a guitar playing 'tone freak' and then retire on the proceeds....

:)

Top advice that!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Prince of Darkness
User

Post by Prince of Darkness »

Dave the bass wrote:Strip 'em down, sell the Mullard ECC83's to a guitar playing 'tone freak' and then retire on the proceeds....

:)

Top advice that!

DTB
Makes a lot of sense 8) You can then fit current production versions and probably get the same price for the taperecorders as you would of :wink:
"We need to grab the Bull by the scruff of the horns!"

Prince.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I like "tropic proof" :lol:

7 inch reels, not bad. As it's 4-track another option is convert to stereo. Have done that.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Now on Ebay.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Now sold.