'E-choke' Filter Boards

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well, its of course up to you Mike, just trying to see what the prices are like. Colin is going to ask the local (to us) place tomorrow, so you may be in a position to decide then (if thats ok?). Maybe that the place I mentioned Nick Lucas uses is more local for you. Don't know.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I'm not proud, I'll go with up the road from Colin if it works out. :D

Just have to see what they say!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Mike, Nick, thanks for all your doing on this.

The prices per board are looking reasonable from the estimates so far and wouldn't cause me to baulk at buying.

I would prefer not to wait the best part of three months until the Oweston event just to save a little postage.

Ray
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

OK guys I got the quote from P M Services Ltd in Todmorden, so here goes:

40-off No plated through holes and no soldermask or silkscreen @ £1.60 each plus one-off tooling charge £25

40-off No plated through holes but with soldermask or silkscreen @ £3.00 each plus one-off tooling charge £40

40-off Plated through holes and no soldermask or silkscreen @ £2.20 each plus one-off tooling charge £40

40-off Plated through holes with soldermask or silkscreen @ £3.87 each plus one-off tooling charge £60

Delivery £10. Prices exclude VAT.

Email address sales@p-m-services.co.uk

They did say that due to tooling up sizes etc the run would likely produce 50 to 55 boards so if any extra oneoff were required they would likely have them sitting on a shelf ready.

Mike,
If you do progress this quote mention me (Colin Topps) in your email correspondance to them.

They have all the files so only need a order from you.

EDIT.
These people are very friendly and helpful and are geared up for 1-off specials. They did say they could make PCBs from PCB Express format files so that's worth knowing. They also commented they could probabely use any format given them.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Bluddy hell thanks Colin ~ took me a while to digest all that

OK so if it stays as it is I most problee fancy option 3, but be interesting to see if it will go single-sided (see below)

Incidentally I downloaded a gerber viewer off the net last night, it reckons the main default file type extension should be .bin ?

Meanwhile something else has happened

Very recently someone got in contact on behalf of their brother who wanted some transformers but is not on the net. By pure coincidence this person also works for or runs a PCB firm. They're in Cambridgeshire

Well I was asking around anyway so ...

Anyroad got another e-mail this morning, in a "spare moment" last night she had a play around with it and said she got it down to single-sided.

Yes "she"

NB all I'd given her was a pic of the original ExpressPCB layout

Still no actual quote yet tho

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote:
Yes "she"
Is she single (or unattached) ? :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yes I was wondering that as well :lol:

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Just a thing to remember Colin, PCB Express != Express PCB.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

40-off Plated through holes with soldermask or silkscreen @ £3.87 each plus one-off tooling charge £60
I guess this is soldermask AND silkscreen?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Didn't spot that, presume he copied the first line? :D

Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Sorry guys.
YES that would be with BOTH Soldermask AND Silkscreen.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

So where are we to with this project?

Ray
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

We are at the point where I both learned how to use FreePCB and finish a complete layout all in the one Friday afternoon and evening. I.e. yesterday at time of writing.

This included making a complete custom library of symbols, as I forgot that on the original most of the footprints are non-standard, I drew them.

Still trying to get a price qiuote out of Littleport Designs, but if there's too much more messing about might go with PM

Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Ray P wrote:So where are we to with this project?
Well done Ray. Spoken in true Somersetshire English. We need to keep batting off the Northerners, you know! :wink: