Aha! Found you!

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Indeed. & welcome back James.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Richard Higgins
User

Post by Richard Higgins »

Hi Gents
I thought it was a bit quiet on the WD BB, and it took me a while to work out where the new BB was. I wandered round a site about a chap called Nick who had a LP12 for a while!

A brief update since I last saw any of you, or posted.
After Owston I used the Silver Iris OBs at home and felt that in a small room they were Ok, better than in the large room.
I tried raising the speakers 9 inches, but this did not improve them.

But in searched the Hawthorne Audio BB for any tips to improve them I found that it is recommended that the rear of the baffle and the speaker spider are covered in felt. I tried 8mm self adhesive pads and there was a worthwhile improvement. I thought the speakers sounded pretty special so as a reference I went back to my Impulse H2s, shock, horror, the Impulses sounded better, similar in mid/treble, with more bass.
What was going on?

Back in Feb I fitted AE amorphous core transformers, and they were still improving.
The improvement brought about by the felt got me thinking, the Impulses use an expanding transmission line for the bass, This is totally undamped except for the open bottom of the speaker/floor carpet. So I have felted the cabinet behind the speaker and some of the dead end of the transmission line. It has really cleaned up the speakers presentation with stronger bass and clearer treble.
I'm continuing trials adding a little at a time.
Has anyone tried felting the back of their OBs? I believe it's worth trying.

Regards Richard (Higgins)
Last edited by Richard Higgins on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Hi,

I think Steve has, and he has suggested I do the same, I should get to it now they are just about finished.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Hello Richard! Welcome, it's been a while...
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hello Richard good evening and welcome :D

Steve
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Richard,

Yes welcome. Every time someone like you comes on I feel guilty about not 'telling' about audio-talk. No offence intended. I can't remember everyone and some of everyone might not be welcome by others, so have to be careful.

I'm glad you are here.

Best wishes,

Greg
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

I think Greg summed that up rather well.

Welcome aboard Richard
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well put Greg, but don't worry about it, we are all grown up here (some of us feel far too grown up), as I said before, we don't need to pussy-foot it, if someone says something you take exception to, let them know, everyone else can either take sides, wade in, or keep out if it.

Fall outs will happen, its nice and cozy now because most of us have met in real life, but it may change.

It if all goes wrong on this forum, well, we can just create a new one, and move to that :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Richard Higgins
User

Post by Richard Higgins »

Hi Nick, Simon, Steve, Greg and darren.

Thanks for the welcome.
No problem, Greg, you hinted at Owston, but I was slow to investigate further.

Regards Richard (Higgins)
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Nick wrote:Hi,

I think Steve has, and he has suggested I do the same, I should get to it now they are just about finished.

i found quite a subtle improvement .. i have carpeted the back of mine
in a nice wool blend...

i found quite an improvment in the mk 2 baffles when i covered part of the back..

I covered the back of the mk3 when i modified them after owston.. there's not too much difference when well away from a wall, but at home where they have to stand a couple of feet out, there is a smoother sound..

nice to see you here richard

cheers steve
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

I've been advised to line the inside of the spider (ie driver metal behind the cone) with felt. I hope to get some felt tomorrow to try this with my current OBs. Lining the back of the OBs seems like it's worth a try.

Clive
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

I lined the back of my 208E magnets with self adhesive bitumen pads from car parts shops - the stuff used for damping resonances is panels. It had a beneficial effect cleaning the sound up. Perhaps less predictable in an OB without a back chamber maybe?
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've done a bit of this to the 207es (shielded 206es) I'm playing with. Having 'dammared' them I have only just overcome this trauma! It took at least five days for the speakers to come on sound again. now they sound just fine and BSC takes the resonant peak out of them, very well.

Damping the cage of the speakers can't do any harm, IMHO it doesn't improve things though.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi-connecting (soldering) the speaker neg terminal to the basket is supposed to make a small difference.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)